Author Topic: Global Warming/Climate Change (Read 2,887 times)
romer

romer Avatar

[send pm]

Global Warming/Climate Change
« Dec 23, 2010 19:39:54 GMT »

You guys all absolutely roasted me approx 3 years ago for being a non-believer in "man made global warming".

I still lean toward the side that no matter what we do to "abuse" this earth, it will get on just fine. As it has its own natural cycles and no matter how much we like to think we influence this cycle, and i am not denying that we can have an influence, but my point is that it is much more minimal than most people would believe, and most climate scientists would like you to believe.

I am not very educated on the subject, nor am I the smartest person in the world. But I do like to read articles and point to them/quote them to make my point, so here is one:

www.investors.com/NewsAndAnalysis/Article/557597/201012221907/The-Abiding-Faith-Of-Warm-ongers.htm

The Abiding Faith Of Warm-ongers

Climate: Nothing makes fools of more people than trying to predict the weather. Whether in Los Angeles or TCOTU, recent predictions have gone crazily awry. Global warming? How about mini ice age?

The sight of confused and angry travelers stuck in airports across Europe because of an arctic freeze that has settled across the continent isn't funny. Sadly, they've been told for more than a decade now that such a thing was an impossibility — that global warming was inevitable, and couldn't be reversed.

This is a big problem for those who see human-caused global warming as an irreversible result of the Industrial Revolution's reliance on carbon-based fuels. Based on global warming theory — and according to official weather forecasts made earlier in the year — this winter should be warm and dry. It's anything but. Ice and snow cover vast parts of both Europe and North America, in one of the coldest Decembers in history.

A cautionary tale? You bet. Prognosticators who wrote the U.N.'s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, or IPCC, global warming report in 2007 predicted an inevitable, century-long rise in global temperatures of two degrees or more. Only higher temperatures were foreseen. Moderate or even lower temperatures, as we're experiencing now, weren't even listed as a possibility.

Since at least 1998, however, no significant warming trend has been noticeable. Unfortunately, none of the 24 models used by the IPCC views that as possible. They are at odds with reality.

Karl Popper, the late, great philosopher of science, noted that for something to be called scientific, it must be, as he put it, "falsifiable." That is, for something to be scientifically true, you must be able to test it to see if it's false. That's what scientific experimentation and observation do. That's the essence of the scientific method.

Unfortunately, the prophets of climate doom violate this idea. No matter what happens, it always confirms their basic premise that the world is getting hotter. The weather turns cold and wet? It's global warming, they say. Weather turns hot? Global warming. No change? Global warming. More hurricanes? Global warming. No hurricanes? You guessed it....

...more...

I also see no harm in making your surroundings a better place, there is no downside to living a simpler life and reducing your "carbon footprint" and creating as little garbage as possible. I recycle, don't waste food, and drive the most economical car that fits my needs. I probably am less wasteful than most people who drive a prius.

I am not saying you are deluded if you are a "warmie" or whatever, but more curious if you have ever spent much, if any time, looking at the opposite side of the debate, or if you even knew there was a debate. Last time I was alone in this view, and probably still am.

www.reddit.com/r/climateskeptics/

babu
God

babu Avatar

[send pm]

« Dec 23, 2010 21:37:33 GMT »

dude, when there's 10 billion parasites all consuming the fuck out of the planet and cutting the trees and polluting all that shit, ur gonna wake up

axl said:
Look at that post right there. ^

a Rottweiler snapping a poodle in half.
floz
God

floz Avatar

[send pm]

« Dec 24, 2010 1:25:32 GMT »

You're right, the earth will be fine. We, however, and the other advanced forms of life on the planet, will not be.

Also your article is idiotic. The current freeze is quite in keeping with theories on climate change, google the gulf stream. :o

« Last Edit: Dec 24, 2010 1:27:22 GMT by floz » Back to Top  
romer

romer Avatar

[send pm]

« Dec 24, 2010 5:45:01 GMT »

floz Avatar
You're right, the earth will be fine. We, however, and the other advanced forms of life on the planet, will not be.

Also your article is idiotic. The current freeze is quite in keeping with theories on climate change, google the gulf stream. :o

He points to that kind of thing in the article though,

Got that? No matter what the weather, it's all due to warming. This isn't science; it's a kind of faith. Scientists go along and even stifle dissent because, frankly, hundreds of millions of dollars in research grants are at stake. But for the believers, global warming is the god that failed.

The hardcore defense of the "global warming side" kinda reminds me of religious fanaticism. It's like you've invested so much of your time and feelings into it that you can't bear the thought of being wrong.

Im not saying you exactly, like you two who have responded but a lot of other people out there.

Have you spent any time reading up on the other side of the debate? even or even had any doubts about this?

« Last Edit: Dec 24, 2010 5:47:40 GMT by romer » Back to Top  
babu
God

babu Avatar

[send pm]

« Dec 24, 2010 7:43:53 GMT »

durrr because the planet is warming :D

axl said:
Look at that post right there. ^

a Rottweiler snapping a poodle in half.
Andy
God

Andy Avatar

Return of the King

[send pm]

« Dec 24, 2010 12:37:49 GMT »

Tell that to Scotland.

thegreathehe

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Dec 24, 2010 16:10:19 GMT »

:-X

floz
God

floz Avatar

[send pm]

« Dec 24, 2010 16:57:18 GMT »

romer Avatar
floz Avatar

He points to that kind of thing in the article though,

Got that? No matter what the weather, it's all due to warming. This isn't science; it's a kind of faith. Scientists go along and even stifle dissent because, frankly, hundreds of millions of dollars in research grants are at stake. But for the believers, global warming is the god that failed.

The hardcore defense of the "global warming side" kinda reminds me of religious fanaticism. It's like you've invested so much of your time and feelings into it that you can't bear the thought of being wrong.

Im not saying you exactly, like you two who have responded but a lot of other people out there.

Have you spent any time reading up on the other side of the debate? even or even had any doubts about this?

There really is no valid 'other side' to the 'debate'.

It's almost as ludicrous as creationism vs evolution.

« Last Edit: Dec 24, 2010 16:57:53 GMT by floz » Back to Top  
bakester
God

bakester Avatar

That's Tremendous

[send pm]

« Dec 24, 2010 17:49:03 GMT »

floz Avatar

:D fuck off flozi

When I wake up in my makeup. Have you ever felt so used up as this?
Andy
God

Andy Avatar

Return of the King

[send pm]

« Dec 24, 2010 17:54:50 GMT »

lol bakester you crazy creationist you

bakester
God

bakester Avatar

That's Tremendous

[send pm]

« Dec 24, 2010 18:15:05 GMT »

I'm certainly not a creationist but ffs what an absurd comparison.

When I wake up in my makeup. Have you ever felt so used up as this?
floz
God

floz Avatar

[send pm]

« Dec 25, 2010 0:15:13 GMT »

Overwhelming scientific evidence ignored and opposed to protect powerful lobbying interests, be it big churches or big oil.

abs
God

abs Avatar

[send pm]

« Dec 25, 2010 2:36:53 GMT »

romer Avatar

I am not very educated on the subject, nor am I the smartest person in the world. But I do like to read articles and point to them/quote them to make my point, so here is one:

www.investors.com/NewsAndAnalysis/Article/557597/201012221907/The-Abiding-Faith-Of-Warm-ongers.htm

The Abiding Faith Of Warm-ongers

Climate: Nothing makes fools of more people than trying to predict the weather. Whether in Los Angeles or TCOTU, recent predictions have gone crazily awry. Global warming? How about mini ice age?

The sight of confused and angry travelers stuck in airports across Europe because of an arctic freeze that has settled across the continent isn't funny. Sadly, they've been told for more than a decade now that such a thing was an impossibility — that global warming was inevitable, and couldn't be reversed.

This is a big problem for those who see human-caused global warming as an irreversible result of the Industrial Revolution's reliance on carbon-based fuels. Based on global warming theory — and according to official weather forecasts made earlier in the year — this winter should be warm and dry. It's anything but. Ice and snow cover vast parts of both Europe and North America, in one of the coldest Decembers in history.

A cautionary tale? You bet. Prognosticators who wrote the U.N.'s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, or IPCC, global warming report in 2007 predicted an inevitable, century-long rise in global temperatures of two degrees or more. Only higher temperatures were foreseen. Moderate or even lower temperatures, as we're experiencing now, weren't even listed as a possibility.

Since at least 1998, however, no significant warming trend has been noticeable. Unfortunately, none of the 24 models used by the IPCC views that as possible. They are at odds with reality.

Karl Popper, the late, great philosopher of science, noted that for something to be called scientific, it must be, as he put it, "falsifiable." That is, for something to be scientifically true, you must be able to test it to see if it's false. That's what scientific experimentation and observation do. That's the essence of the scientific method.

Unfortunately, the prophets of climate doom violate this idea. No matter what happens, it always confirms their basic premise that the world is getting hotter. The weather turns cold and wet? It's global warming, they say. Weather turns hot? Global warming. No change? Global warming. More hurricanes? Global warming. No hurricanes? You guessed it....

...more...

Surely you don't need to be well educated on the subject or particularly smart to know that an article from "investors.com" is going to give you the most biased fucking view on the subject imaginable?

orch

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Dec 25, 2010 14:31:21 GMT »

Global warming is bollocks.

henry
God

henry Avatar

[send pm]

« Dec 25, 2010 14:32:54 GMT »

floz Avatar

Its no where near the same, creationism vs evolution is silly

in this debate just because more rational and 'scientific' people are on the side of climate change doesn't mean its a silly argument and doesn't mean the opposition view is silly

I believe in human influenced climate change but agree with the other side that one there's not enough information (yeah an appeal to ignorance) and that its a highly arrogant view about the importance of the human species and its activies

floz
God

floz Avatar

[send pm]

« Dec 25, 2010 17:56:05 GMT »

It seems no one can understand the word almost.

barny
God

barny Avatar

[send pm]

« Dec 25, 2010 20:02:45 GMT »

You're almost idiot

leanne

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Dec 25, 2010 20:11:25 GMT »

floz Avatar
It seems no one can understand the word almost.

Well it's not even 'almost' as ludicrous, is it?

The 'science' is there but 'science' has been wrong before and i'm more than wiling to accept the global warming thing could be wrong.

The thing is, once you realise the multi nationals are behind a lot of the 'propaganda' of global warming you'll probably change your mind.

"It's all to get your money KOMRADEZ! RESIST DER LIES AND DAT!"

henry
God

henry Avatar

[send pm]

« Dec 25, 2010 20:44:29 GMT »

Yep Craig i'm sorry but 'almost' is still pushing it extraordinarily

romer

romer Avatar

[send pm]

« Dec 25, 2010 23:11:38 GMT »

abs Avatar
romer Avatar

Surely you don't need to be well educated on the subject or particularly smart to know that an article from "investors.com" is going to give you the most biased fucking view on the subject imaginable?

Oh ok, i guess ill just go read up about it at www.globalwarming.org then.

If you visit this site:

Youll see a hell of a lot more articles that aren't posted by 'investors.com'

Quick Reply