Author Topic: Glastonbury thread (Read 5,906 times)
Tuckerman
God

Tuckerman Avatar

[send pm]

Glastonbury thread
« Jun 30, 2019 11:35:32 GMT via mobile »

Columbia_rocks_man Avatar
Tuckerman Avatar
Watching The Killers set now cos my missus likes them. And tbf, I did make her sit through Liam.

Honestly, I've probably developed a bit of a soft spot for these lads. Hot Fuss is still a cracking album and they have some belting tunes in their cannot. Plus, they clearly love what they do and give it their all.
I saw them play a festival in Glasgow last year and was surprised at how much I didn’t hate them. Brandon is very Vegas showman, plenty of chat and a rock solid voice. But much of their latter stuff is utter dross.

Aye much of the later stuff is poor but still some gems scattered across everything since Sam's Town.

Check oot ma tunes, ey?
soundcloud.com/tommytuckerman
jp
God

jp Avatar

[send pm]

Glastonbury thread
« Jun 30, 2019 12:24:08 GMT via mobile »

Lizzo smashed it. I remember seeing her supporting Har Mar Superstar years ago and it was nothing notable but what a show at Glastonbury.

eddiemurphy
God

eddiemurphy Avatar

[send pm]

Glastonbury thread
« Jul 1, 2019 10:35:51 GMT »

:D

Deleted

Deleted Avatar

[send pm]

Glastonbury thread
« Jul 1, 2019 14:00:25 GMT » -

I had the time of my life, I don't think I've ever seen so many great performances at Glasto before. The BBC can never ever do the place justice, the main stages just looked like collection of mainstream shit this year and of course that's what the BBC mostly shows. Barely touched the pyramid/other stage/peel all weekend. Spent the majority of my time at West Holts & Williams Green, but saw stuff all over. Despite going in thinking the lineup was slightly below par, I literally could have done all 3 days twice over and had something different I'd want to see every minute of the day.

Got their Wednesday, coach went surprisingly smooth once we'd queued to get onto it. Set up and went down to see MIK ARTISTIK, a Glastonbury comedy-rock legend who's now performed over 200 gigs at the festival, sun was shining and he played on a small bandstand, nice stuff. Spent most the day just wandering around getting pissed but then went into some small tent to see him again, Saw some silly kids group that were like Liberty X before, they seemed to enjoy themselves :D - MIK ARTISTIK played again, this set was outstanding, huge crowd singing along, 2 encores, so much better than it had any right to be. Later in the day there was a special guest on a small greenpeace stage so I tried my luck, some white bloke doing acoustic blues.. nobody had a clue who he was :D

Thursday drank and chilled, see MIK ARTISTIK again on some outdoor stage though the P.A blew so you could only hear from their monitor's so it was shit. He tried his best to entertain though. Saw some cheesy rock band do covers of guitar anthems, went down a treat with the crowd. Then there was two TBA slots in Williams green, was hoping for Black Midi or Squid. Turned out to be pale Waves & The Big Moon. Where there wasn't any big artists booked until Friday this tent was packed. Saw The Big Moon who i'd seen at Latitude a few years ago and quite enjoyed, really underwhelming. I liked that they were a big grungy then, now their new material just sounded lifeless. Didn't hang around for Pale Waves so headed off to do something new and exciting.. to see MIK ARTISTIK again. Fair play to him he did a different set every time. This one was short and sweet, great fun. Band before made a load of noise, no idea who they were but it was alreet. Think we had an early night and was asleep by 12. Where I camped this year was silent almost every night, never had so much good sleep at a festival.

Friday kicked off with an 11am start to see BLACK MIDI in William's Green. So I saw them the other week at Earth and it was proper shit. See them at Rough Trade Tuesday night and fucking hell it was like night and day, absolutely incredible. The set at Glasto was not quite on par, but still fuck, what a force they are. Set went down a treat. Headed over to West Holts, caught The Mauskovic Dance Band, think their dutch.. sort of funky afrobeat, with some spacey electronica thrown in. Knew nothing about them but really nice set with the sun beaming down. Next up were ACID MOTHERS TEMPLE, a band who on record are always a bit too much for me but I've always wanted to catch them live. Fuck it was great, an hour of psych/krauty noise. The drummer is really something special. Went back to William's Green for AMYL AND THE SNIFFERS, they were pretty much made for festivals. Banged out a good 15 tunes in 40 minutes, lively crowd with Amy jumping in the crowd towards the end.
After this met up with STOCKPORT LAD

So great to see him again. We saw BILL-RYDER JONES in William's Green. I was worried it'd be a bit moody as I'd had a good drink by then and wanted something uplifting but when he & the band are in full motion it was pretty damn good, plus his dry humour inbetween songs is always entertaining. Headed to the other stage afterwards for THE CHARLATANS. It gets a pass, or a Mahoney thumbs up. I'm at that stage with them now where I'm not interesting in hearing anything post Wonderland, so the set was patchy but they of course did a bunch of old hits. Just great to belt out the classics with Stocky 15 years after me and Balldog stayed in the Crook house after seeing them. Headed back to William's Green for LET'S EAT GRANDMA. Now their second album that got all the praise I wasn't too enthusiastic about but damn that material works wonders for them, completely got a festival set locked down now. Unfortunately sound issues meant they were on late so the set was a little short but they nailed the little time they had. Parted ways with Stocky, wasn't too fussed about headliners for Friday, Helen wanted to see INTERPOL so headed to the John Peel. Fell asleep whilst standing up seeing INTERPOL for the second time in a few weeks :D They had a piss poor turnout too, didn't realise until I left during the last song for a piss. Never really got that band, they've got 3-4 songs I really like, always surprised they're not considered indie landfill. Anyway, I was completely done for during Interpol but there was secret gigs by Black Midi & Squid that night, luckily I came back to life like that scene in robocop when they did slow hands & I was alive once more. Went to the crow's nest, which is a tiny little bar made from wood out in the park. Though once you get to the park it is up this hill you'd never think to go to, it was some effort for me to fucking get there. Was worried I wouldn't get in, but got there in great time and was literally stood against the stage. Black Midi came out and played a blinder, completely different set from earlier in the day, think some of it was improv. Doubt I'll get a chance to see them that close again tbh. SQUID came on, couldn't even all fit on the stage it was that tiny. Crowd went mental, crowdsurfers the lot. I don't think I've ever packed so much into a day at a festival, took a good hour to walk back to the tent after that but damn it was worth it. 

Saturday was another early start, 11am again in Williams Green, this time for SQUID's main set. Really love this band, think it went down as good as can be for an early morning gig. Saw SPORTS TEAM, who I knew nothing about only that Kevin told me they are fun live & I can confirm that they are fun live. Singer was full of energy, felt very 1993 Britpop in sound, no idea if they're any good on record but they seemed like something that could become very popular. The heat was unbearable by that time, just drenched in sweat. Headed to west Holts, caught GRUPO MAGNETICO, Mexican (I think?) salsa band, perfect vibes with the sun blasting down. Next up were EZRA COLLECTIVE, I like their debut from this year but wasn't expecting them to be so great live, maybe the big surprise of the weekend for me. Had Loyle Carner & Jorja Smith join them for tunes. Fantastic musicians. Headed over to the park afterwards for SONS OF KEMET. I don't get why they didn't put them on West Holts, would've made a great 1-2 combo of British Jazz flavoured music. Anyway, this was my first slight disappointment. Not sure if this is always the lineup but it was just 4 of them, 2 drummers. It felt kinda flat, sound wasn't great & it started to feel samey. Wasn't helped that fucking Foals were secret guests on there after so loads of complete squares showed up and were talking throughout it. When Kemet finished it took forever to get out, about half the festival had turned up to see fucking foals, decided then I wasn't going to be bothering with big crowds too often that weekend. Was planning on seeing Kurt Vile & Kate Tempest but the park was just so rammed with cunts I wanted out. Went into a half empty leftfield tent and saw STELLA DONNELLY. Pretty decent, her band are nothing special but her lyrics are great, prefer her on record but I was just glad to be away from the crowd. headed to pyramid to see LIAM, stood 300 miles back under a speaker which I was glad for. I enjoyed it, same as the Charlatans, tbh I just want to hear the Oasis tunes these days. No idea what it looked like on TV, probably shit, but then you have to remember at a festival by this time people have been there like 4 days in the heat. Had a decent group around us and belted out all the big hits. Got a thumbs up from me, though I wish the band would be a little more adventurous. Also, I know it's a festival but I was hoping he'd do Stay Young or something not so obvious.  Would have seen the Wu Tang Clan but they announced a last minute gig from SLEAFORD MODS in shangri-la. Had no idea how big the place would be so got there early and saw some Eastern European gypsy band LOS KAMER, lots of energy, played to about 40 fucked up people, it was fun. now I've wanted to see SLEAFORD MODS for ages, but whenever they do TCOTU I always decide the venue's too large or I have a busy week so miss it out. FUCK I LOVED IT. Was stood on the barrier, was blown away by Jason, his energy & magnetism. So good, so upset it has taken me this long to see them but I couldn't have picked a better time for it. Got a good crowd considering it wasn't advertised well & there was so much on at the same time. Hung around block9/shang-ri La after and was blown away at the amount of cool shit they had there. I'm sure I've been there in previous years but I usually don't make it out there of a night. It really has to be seen to be believed, it's a festival within a festival, the work that must go on to build and organise everything must be off the scale. Had an amazing time hoping from bar to bar, all the wierd corners. Bands and DJ's everywhere you turned, saw a fun rockabilly thing, some banging techno. You could go Glasto and just go there 8pm-5am every night and feel you'd got your money's worth. 

Sunday I decided to stay off the booze, plus we were leaving that night so wanted to take it easy. Bit cooler but still hard work in the heat at times. Started with KOKOROKO at west holts, British afro-beat inspired jazz-funk. Again, perfect summer vibes. Realised I was completely knackered. Was going to see Mavis Staples but decided to just stay sat down in West Holts, saw HOLLIE COOK who I thought was rather dull, sounded like Reggae for radio 2 listeners. Watched JEFF GOLDBLUM with his jazz band, drew a huge crowd. What was cool was that Jeff came out and basically did stand-up/improv with the crowd for half hour whilst the band set-up. Really entertaining. The band itself, well its just what I'd call a late night bar-room jazz band, good musicians, nothing special though the big crowd seemed really into it and with Jeff's chat inbetween it turned out to be a really entertaining hour or so. saw KYLIE on the pyramid, again stood miles away under a speaker and watched it on the screen. Will have to watch it on TV but tbh it looked like she absolutely killed it. So many fucking hits. Think me and Helen were the only two people that cheered when Nick Cave walked out, everybody around us didn't have a clue who he was :D I forget how many people buy tickets and just sit at the back of the pyramid all weekend, complete madness. Not seen any of the headline bands sets from the weekend yet but I'd be surprised if any of them pulled in the crowd Kylie did. Shame about Chris Martin, shame big Robbie couldn't be there for the kids are arlight, that was a huge highlight & I'd forgot all about the tune. Was a great singalong and fancied more of the same so headed to the acoustic stage and saw THE BOOTLEG BEATLES. Something I'd never pay to see, but a small tent packed out at a festival, it really couldn't fail. Did the costume changes and all the old banter inbetween, I actually forgot I was watching a tribute band during revolution & my guitar gently weeps :D Really, really great fun. I really wanted to see Roy Ayers but again the heat and exhaustion had got the better of me so just a lay down outside a bar blasting out Britpop for an hour so. Got down the front for KAMASI WASHINGTON, only had an hour and of course setting up that huge band meant the set started 10 mins late but fucking hell it was so so good. I was blown away during a few points, kinda pissed I didn't bother with Brixton academy earlier in the year now. So up to that point Kamasi and Sleaford Mods were my highlights of the festival, didn't need a piss so just stayed down the front for JANELLE MONAE. Annoying clash that night with the streets & the cure on at once, but I figured I'd seen the streets headline the peel last time I was there and the Cure infront of a huge festival crowd for 2 hours I'm not sure would have worked, especially as I would have stood miles back, I'd imagine most people on care for 5 songs. Anyway, not seen Janelle since around the time of the second album, HOLY FUCKING SHIT, it was unbelievable, gig of the year contender material. Festival gigs have no right to be that perfect. She was just on fucking fire. The latest record I really liked.. but was disappointed it was so on the nose & pop, but live it made complete sense. She just fucking killed it from start to finish. Her band were great, the dancers unreal & then Janelle, well fuck me, I felt like I saw a complete star in the mould of Michael Jackson or Prince. She got in the crowd at the end which I was shocked tbh, went right through rubbed all mud over her face, got back on stage, said "DIRTY COMPUTER, OUT", and did a mic drop :D :D :D It was so powerful, literally speechless. I think she is only a monster hit or two away from being headline material, though despite how famous she is I still think average people don't know who she is. Anyway, what a fucking end to the festival.
Though I carried on a bit more. There's this band called ELVANA, which is a bunch of geordies who had a Nirvana tribute band, but they decided to get their mate to dress up as Elvis and so the set as Elvis Presley :D I was really excited to see them Thursday then completely forget they was on :D So headed out to see them and walked past Avalon, the band on there sounded shit, REALLY FUCKING SHIT... then I heard something in the vocal & it hit me... it was REEF :D :D :D :D :D they finished their song and went into PLACE YOUR HANDS, I couldn't stop laughing. I have a long history with this band, I remember reading they was there but had forgot all about it. Anyway belted out place your hands from the back of the tent then saw ELVIS do Nirvana. Huge Nirvana fan yet I don't think I've ever heard a single song of theirs performed live by anyone so I fucking loved it. Also  they break into grunge versions of Elvis mid song, the funniest was half way through rape me breaking into love me tender :D :D I know it probably sounds shit on paper, but for a festival it is just perfect. Saw about 35 mins of their set and had to head back as we'd booked a 2:30am coach out of there which I've gotta say was the best decision I've ever made. Was back in TCOTU by 5:30am & in the bath before 7am. 

Literally had the time of my life, I've no idea why I didn't  bother the last couple of times it was on. Of course it was helped by the incredible weather, no mud to be seen all weekend. Also helped that I was away from the large crowd's majority of the weekend, had great spots for almost everything I saw minus the couple of things on the pyramid stage. Just kinda disheartening to go onto twitter & see people moaning about how shit it looked on the BBC, anyone who truly loves live music, and all different types of it.. if you can't carve out 3 days of entertainment from the literally 1000s of acts they put on then that's your loss. 

« Last Edit: Jul 1, 2019 14:10:07 GMT by Deleted » Back to Top  
jp
God

jp Avatar

[send pm]

Glastonbury thread
« Jul 1, 2019 15:08:26 GMT »

was hoping you'd see sleaford mods. what a live act.

i've heard so many people say acid mothers temple are amazing live but still haven't heard a note of their music. they seem to play norwich at least twice a year so i'll have to check them out at some point.

Deleted

Deleted Avatar

[send pm]

Glastonbury thread
« Jul 1, 2019 15:27:52 GMT via mobile »

You’d definitely love them live. They have about 200 albums so hard to sink your teeth into, records are often just a few 25 minute jams from the stuff I’ve heard over the years

eddiemurphy
God

eddiemurphy Avatar

[send pm]

Glastonbury thread
« Jul 1, 2019 15:28:02 GMT »

mahoney Avatar
Think me and Helen were the only two people that cheered when Nick Cave walked out, everybody around us didn't have a clue who he was :D

don't underestimate the people karl.

even they know he's boring as fuck. ;)

Columbia_rocks_man
God

[send pm]

Glastonbury thread
« Jul 1, 2019 15:54:55 GMT via mobile »

Epic review Mahoney. Well done. You can still cut it despite being 47!

Fake edit: How the fuck has it taken you so long to see Sleaford Mods? We’ve been talking about them on this forum for what must be five years at least.

« Last Edit: Jul 1, 2019 15:58:17 GMT by Columbia_rocks_man » Back to Top  
Deleted

Deleted Avatar

[send pm]

Glastonbury thread
« Jul 1, 2019 16:01:03 GMT via mobile »

I don’t know, I love the records it just never worked out when they played live where I’d have a gig already booked or I decided the venue would be too large for them. Basically old man excuses

Columbia_rocks_man
God

[send pm]

Glastonbury thread
« Jul 1, 2019 16:10:37 GMT via mobile »

The venue thing does put me off seeing them again soon. I saw them maybe six times in two years or something, it was a good run, don’t wanna spoil that by seeing them in some horrible barn of a venue.

Hopefully they become like The Fall and drop back to a level where they release inconsistent yet occasionally brilliant records every year, Jason gets back on the sauce, and they end up playing the same medium sized venues every three months.

Fuzzy Dunlop
God

Fuzzy Dunlop Avatar

[send pm]

Glastonbury thread
« Jul 1, 2019 16:48:33 GMT »

mahoney Avatar
went down to see MIK ARTISTIK, a Glastonbury comedy-rock legend who's now performed over 200 gigs at the festival

There was a little feature on him on the BBC coverage, going from venue to venue, looked good fun. Did 'the lights are on' opening line from Addicted to Love then just repeated it several times :D

"I am a tender, beautiful and loving guy that happens to slap a photographer now and then because they get in my way."
Deleted

Deleted Avatar

[send pm]

Glastonbury thread
« Jul 1, 2019 17:09:35 GMT via mobile »

Ha yeah that’s one of his “hits” I’ll check it out cheers

SPACE COWBOY
God

SPACE COWBOY Avatar

[send pm]

Glastonbury thread
« Jul 1, 2019 17:20:07 GMT via mobile »

My years of bleating on like a stuck record feel vindicated.

I've rarely been moved as much as when seeing her.

Seeing her again a week on Saturday in paris at Afropunk Festival.

So so glad you felt the same.

"stayed down the front for JANELLE MONAE. Annoying clash that night with the streets & the cure on at once, but I figured I'd seen the streets headline the peel last time I was there and the Cure infront of a huge festival crowd for 2 hours I'm not sure would have worked, especially as I would have stood miles back, I'd imagine most people on care for 5 songs. Anyway, not seen Janelle since around the time of the second album, HOLY FUCKING SHIT, it was unbelievable, gig of the year contender material. Festival gigs have no right to be that perfect. She was just on fucking fire. The latest record I really liked.. but was disappointed it was so on the nose & pop, but live it made complete sense. She just fucking killed it from start to finish. Her band were great, the dancers unreal & then Janelle, well fuck me, I felt like I saw a complete star in the mould of Michael Jackson or Prince. She got in the crowd at the end which I was shocked tbh, went right through rubbed all mud over her face, got back on stage, said "DIRTY COMPUTER, OUT", and did a mic drop :D :D :D It was so powerful, literally speechless. I think she is only a monster hit or two away from being headline material, though despite how famous she is I still think average people don't know who she is. Anyway, what a fucking end to the festival."

Fuzzy Dunlop
God

Fuzzy Dunlop Avatar

[send pm]

Glastonbury thread
« Jul 1, 2019 18:00:41 GMT »

mahoney Avatar
Ha yeah that’s one of his “hits” I’ll check it out cheers

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0006h42/glastonbury-the-killers

3 hours 27 in

"I am a tender, beautiful and loving guy that happens to slap a photographer now and then because they get in my way."
barny
God

barny Avatar

[send pm]

Glastonbury thread
« Jul 1, 2019 18:08:48 GMT »

I'd really really like to see Janelle, even if I don't really care about her output. Having said that, I've heard people saying it's all just like you say but... too calculated and alas a bit cold. Guess that feeling could come easier if you see the same show more than once, though.

SPACE COWBOY
God

SPACE COWBOY Avatar

[send pm]

Glastonbury thread
« Jul 1, 2019 18:42:12 GMT via mobile »

barny Avatar
I'd really really like to see Janelle, even if I don't really care about her output. Having said that, I've heard people saying it's all just like you say but... too calculated and alas a bit cold. Guess that feeling could come easier if you see the same show more than once, though.

I don't know how many times i've seen her now and she gets better every time.

stocky
God

stocky Avatar

[send pm]

Glastonbury thread
« Jul 5, 2019 15:30:20 GMT »

Glasto review coming shortly. That festival nearly killed me. Incredible teems leek.

Deleted

Deleted Avatar

[send pm]

Glastonbury thread
« Jul 11, 2019 14:12:05 GMT »

stocky Avatar
Glasto review coming shortly.

Lies :(

Columbia_rocks_man
God

[send pm]

Glastonbury thread
« Jul 11, 2019 17:57:16 GMT via mobile »

mahoney Avatar
stocky Avatar
Glasto review coming shortly.
Lies :(

Like Jimmy every second day, it sounds like Stocky is back on the sauce.

Deleted

Deleted Avatar

[send pm]

Glastonbury thread
« Jul 25, 2019 20:11:34 GMT »

how soon is now is very good here ahehehe

tune in at 19 mins and 50 seconds for greatness B-|