Author Topic: Weight struggles (Read 390 times)
Tuckerman
God

Tuckerman Avatar

[send pm]

Weight struggles
« Aug 23, 2019 9:18:42 GMT »

I've always had a bit of a weird time with my weight.  I wasn't really fat or chubby all through infant and most of primary school.  Then, from about the age of 10 I started filling out and was a right little chubber, and was this way until I was about 15, then I started slimming out a bit again but that only lasted until I was about 19 or 20 and my weight started going back up. 

When I met my missus, I stopped caring and my weight started getting a bit out of control.  I got up to something like 21st.  Then, in summer 2012 we booked a holiday to Mexico so I thought I'd best get some timber off.  From June to December I managed to drop to about 20st, then from December to the following June, I managed to get down to 17st.  It felt great and I was determined to keep the weight off, and to actually try and get another stone or 2 off.  That didn't happen, and again, my weight started shooting back up.

Fast-forward to about a month ago when we were getting ready to start eating better to try and lose some weight.  I knew I was at the heaviest I'd ever been and that I was really just a gross pig to anyone who didn't know me and would pass me in the street.  I was absolutely terrified to get weighed because I knew I would be ashamed to see the numbers.  But I needed to know so I could get motivated and properly track my progress over the weeks and months.  So we bought a new pair of scales and stepped on, waiting anxiously for the number.  It was bad. 

I've talked to people about my latest bit of weight loss a bit over the last few weeks.  There's a few people at work who have done a cracking job with it so we'll talk about it from time to time.  Even though my results so far have been pretty good, I was ashamed to tell them what I started at and what I was down to.  Until the other day that was.  I decided that, at the end of the day, people know I am fat and know I am grossly overweight; there is no hiding that.  I was on the way to work with my mate who I get a lift with and he asked how it was all going.  Told him it was going good and he asked what my starting weight was, so I told him.

24 stone, or 336lbs, or 152kg,

He was genuinely shocked.  Not sure whether it was to make me feel better or what, but he said he didn't think I was that heavy, and that I don't look that heavy.  Reckons he had me down at about 20st.  And honestly, telling him, I just didn't care.  I am who I am, and I am trying very hard to lose weight; to get better and get healthy.  People can judge me however they want for being fat.  It must happen daily by people who I'll never know and never speak to, but what they don't know is that I am trying and that I am dedicated; determined.

I started this journey on July 31st, 2019.  Like I say, starting at 24st.  My last weight in was this morning and I'm down to 22st 10lbs.  I've got a long way to go still but seeing the numbers drop gives me some motivation to keep going.  The biggest motivator is my kids, though.  Obviously, being a funt, I'm more likely to die younger.  I want to see my kids grow into the absolutely brilliant human beings I know they can become with our guidance.  

I know we've had a few people on here over the years who have overcame this obstacle.  First DaveyBoy, who absolutely smashed it, and most recently SuperJohnny reporting that he'd lost some serious flubber.  Obviously DaveyBoy can't share his story and experiences, but perhaps Johnny would care to? Or anyone else still around these parts whose had their own struggles.

Check oot ma tunes, ey?
soundcloud.com/tommytuckerman
jimmy
God

jimmy Avatar

[send pm]

Weight struggles
« Aug 23, 2019 9:48:05 GMT »

Yeah my weight spiralled out of control a couple of years ago. It left me pretty depressed. I was 35 and it made me rethink my whole attitude towards diet and fitness. It really was just a case of getting into a basic routine. Planning my diet each week, cutting out the crap and joining the gym. Basic rules of only drinking alcohol on social occasions, cutting out sugar, cutting out takeaways except for rare occasions and getting the right balance. The main thing was exercise though not just for my weight loss but for my whole mental health. Heavy weights, cardio etc. Some form of exercise every day. One thing Id recommend is buying a bike as its much more enjoyable than running and it burns the calories.

« Last Edit: Aug 23, 2019 9:53:43 GMT by jimmy » Back to Top  
barny
God

member is online

barny Avatar

[send pm]

Weight struggles
« Aug 23, 2019 10:07:20 GMT via mobile »

You've made a great job so far, but it would be a lotta better if you had called this thread Take the load off, Annie.

Deleted

Deleted Avatar

[send pm]

Weight struggles
« Aug 23, 2019 14:35:43 GMT »

Keep telling you to buy a road bike tucker.

do it nowwwwwwwwwww.

eddiemurphy
God

eddiemurphy Avatar

[send pm]

Weight struggles
« Aug 23, 2019 18:14:10 GMT »

i only weigh 10st 3ibs. :D

got some way to go tux. :|

« Last Edit: Aug 23, 2019 18:14:42 GMT by eddiemurphy » Back to Top  

Tuckerman
God

Tuckerman Avatar

[send pm]

Weight struggles
« Aug 23, 2019 18:43:10 GMT via mobile »

I'll never be that slim tbh but its not where I'm looking to get. If I can get down to 16st in the next 12 months I'll be well happy.

Check oot ma tunes, ey?
Belligerent Hype Man
God

Belligerent Hype Man Avatar

DRINK LUCOZADE!!! [F4:@Bronsons_Beard]

[send pm]

Weight struggles
« Aug 23, 2019 19:18:13 GMT via mobile »

Just seen this, I'm flat put with the children at the minute but when I get some spare time I'll make a proper contribution.

Well done on the success so far, stick at it!

Rollinice
God

Rollinice Avatar

[send pm]

Weight struggles
« Aug 23, 2019 22:33:23 GMT »

Smoothies and eating no meat before 6 pm will be very helpful, along with getting 10,000 steps in a day, a mile of which occur on a run. You will see the weight come off fairly quicky.

Ageless and Timeless

Tuckerman
God

Tuckerman Avatar

[send pm]

Weight struggles
« Aug 24, 2019 4:49:37 GMT »

Rollinice Avatar
Smoothies and eating no meat before 6 pm will be very helpful, along with getting 10,000 steps in a day, a mile of which occur on a run. You will see the weight come off fairly quicky.
Thanks for the tip, Rolli.  I presume you mean no meat after 6pm? Could be tricky.  I generally don't get in from work until 7pm, and then I'm busy with the kids' bedtime routine though to be about 8:15pm.  By which point, I'm normally just re-heating a meal from the freezer that I've food-prepped the Sunday before, which yes, normally consists of sometime of meat - chicken or lean beef for the protein.  I know you can get protein elsewhere, but that's just how we do it.

The 10,000 steps thing, yes, that helps.  I generally get somewhere close most days.  Some days I'm walking to the train station, the to the office, and back again.  Other than that, I move about as much as possible at work these days.  I'll make a habit of using the toilet and kitchen area on the floor below us.  And y'know, kids also keep you pretty active.

I'm just being sensible with it this time.  When I lost a load of weight in 2012/2013, that was hardcore, low-carb stuff.  It worked but it's hard to maintain, unless you go full keto.  This time, I'm just focusing purely on calorie deficit.  To lose 2lbs a week, I'm advised to consume 2,350 calories per day.  That's a lot, and because I'm trying to be healthier as well, I'm sometimes actually finding it quite hard to eat that much and am normally coming at around 1,800 calories a day.  Focusing on the calorie deficit means I don't have to completely cut out some of the more calorie-heavy things I might want to enjoy from time-to-time just as long as I'm aware of the impact it's going to have.  

Honestly, so far, it's working pretty well for me. 

Check oot ma tunes, ey?
Rollinice
God

Rollinice Avatar

[send pm]

Weight struggles
« Aug 24, 2019 18:48:38 GMT »

Tuckerman Avatar
Rollinice Avatar
Thanks for the tip, Rolli.  I presume you mean no meat after 6pm? Could be tricky.  I generally don't get in from work until 7pm, and then I'm busy with the kids' bedtime routine though to be about 8:15pm.  By which point, I'm normally just re-heating a meal from the freezer that I've food-prepped the Sunday before, which yes, normally consists of sometime of meat - chicken or lean beef for the protein.  I know you can get protein elsewhere, but that's just how we do it.

The 10,000 steps thing, yes, that helps.  I generally get somewhere close most days.  Some days I'm walking to the train station, the to the office, and back again.  Other than that, I move about as much as possible at work these days.  I'll make a habit of using the toilet and kitchen area on the floor below us.  And y'know, kids also keep you pretty active.

I'm just being sensible with it this time.  When I lost a load of weight in 2012/2013, that was hardcore, low-carb stuff.  It worked but it's hard to maintain, unless you go full keto.  This time, I'm just focusing purely on calorie deficit.  To lose 2lbs a week, I'm advised to consume 2,350 calories per day.  That's a lot, and because I'm trying to be healthier as well, I'm sometimes actually finding it quite hard to eat that much and am normally coming at around 1,800 calories a day.  Focusing on the calorie deficit means I don't have to completely cut out some of the more calorie-heavy things I might want to enjoy from time-to-time just as long as I'm aware of the impact it's going to have.  

Honestly, so far, it's working pretty well for me. 

The concept is VB6, so veg before 6 PM. A NY Time foods writer named Mark Bittman came up with the concept. I have a pretty robust smoothie every morning with a banana, chia seeds, power greens, almond butter, berry blend of various fruits, bovine peptides (collagen), cinnamon, turmeric, and almond milk. Normally do a peanut butter sandwich for lunch and have a kind bar, tomatoes, carrots, and trail mix on the side. Dinner I eat whatever, normally it is a lot of pasta, as you know Rollince is Italian.

Ageless and Timeless

krburg
God

krburg Avatar

Dorothy Was a Waitress

[send pm]

Weight struggles
« Aug 24, 2019 21:21:35 GMT »

Tucker, I've lost about 4 stone in the past 15 months after having a moment of realisation that I needed to quell the ongoing tide of weight gain. It came after I had to go to the quacks for the fist time in about 10 years and to her credit, she just called me out on it, but mot importantly, brought up concerns about diabetes and sent me for blood tests. That was the Damascene moment for me, as I've had family history with that and it just flicked a switch in my head and I decided I wasn't going to go down that avenue. Up until then, it was not something that ever really bothered me too much, but looking back, it had been coming.

My real problem stemmed, almost exclusively, around alcohol. Not just the consumption of alcohol, but the secondary effects of it. My work is a highly social environment and i'd spent a decade, and some, excessively drinking to probably quite dangerous levels without really realising because I would never consider myself an alcoholic, but I binged on average, perhaps three days during the week and then on odd weekends. All this results in poor food and eating habits and a complete disregard for any sort of exercise.

Fortunately, I'd kind of had a moment of realisation with this perhaps three years ago and had already started to really cut this out before I went to the doctors, so it sort of worked out that I was already a part of the way there.

Essentially, what I started to do was just all the obvious, boring things. I started to swim, walk and be more sensible at first. All gradual things at first and then upping the frequency. I started swimming a couple of mornings a week and then walking home a couple of evenings etc.. which was a bit of a cunt at first, but you get used to it and you start building up, three times a week for a while, then u to four etc.. then i joined the gym and started adding cycling and treadmill work in, then a bit of rowing machine etc.. again, all gradual steps on these, just introducing them as and when i felt comfortable.

Also, during the initial few months, i was extremely sensible with diet. I cut back on almost everything; alcohol, sugar, bread, cheese etc..

I used to take a sandwich to work every day, with a high fat yogurt, fatty crisps etc.. I swapped this out by taking a salad every day, with low fat and low sugar yogurts and crisps alternatives with plenty of fruit. Make sure I drink plenty of water. Also, have banana's and handful's of nuts on hand to ease any hunger pangs as they're slow releasing and fill you up.

I reached a point where i'm now swimming a km usually four mornings a week before work and then doing some gym and more swimming at the weekends. I also walk everywhere, i'm a geek so i track all my steps and stuff, so i've walked on average just over 6 miles every day this year, which for me is about 11,500 steps a day, so that's what I aim for. Which sometimes means walking past my house for 10 minutes and turning round and walking back for 10 minutes.

So I was about 20 1/2 stone in May last year and now i'm hovering around 16 to 16 1/2 as I've started to gain more muscle as I've upped gym and swim work.

One thing I didn't do, was set myself arbitrary targets like 'I must lose a stone by a certain date', because I knew that wouldn't work for me. The only thing I had in mind, was that I knew I had to change my lifestyle and that If i was able to maintain a routine, i'd be ok, which so far, i've managed. I rarely weigh myself, I generally just go on how i'm feeling and how clothes are fitting (that's one thing, i've had to spend a fortune replacing my wardrobe a couple of times..).

As i've lost more weight and got myself back into a healthier state, i've relaxed a little on diet and alcohol and allowed myself to enjoy those things in moderation, as long as i'm sensible enough and stick to the routine I should be ok. I've plateaued a little now, but i'm ok with that asi'm feeling quite good at the moment and I know I can kick on to the next step when I want too, probably once the summer is over, i'll kick on.

One thing that did stick with me from my initial discussions with my GP, was she suggested the 80/20 rule; you can be bad 20 percent of the time, if you're good for 80. And that goes for everything, make sure there's 80% of good stuff in a meal and you can tolerate 20% of bad stuff and if you're sensible 80% of the week, you can be bad 20% of the time. So i tend to be really sensible during the week and then allow myself some indulgences during the weekends etc.. I generally just try to work to that principle with most things and it's worked a treat for me.

Benoît Assou-Ekotto
God

Benoît Assou-Ekotto Avatar

Slapped by a dwarf.

[send pm]

Weight struggles
« Aug 25, 2019 10:05:48 GMT »

I got married this year and lost a stone and a half before hand. Just in comparison to Kev, lots of similarities but I did set myself targets, weighed myself and counted calories. Everyone's different but everyone is basically doing the same things which are going to be reduce drinking, increase exercise and have a healthy balanced diet. Try and base it around food and exercise which you enjoy and figure out what motivates you.

I've got mates who are forever talking about losing weight but it's based on things like fasting and doing mad exercise routines that they used to do in their early twenties. You cannot just flip a switch. There is more chance it will fail if it is based on extremes. I watched this documentary on Kron Gracie's diet the other day (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_7huOfVMP0&t=32s) which is really cool but I think the most important thing he says is he trained his body to deal with the heavy workload of a MMA athelete with his diet. I think the same applies when you start. Reduce the crap intake, add in better nutritious foods and give your body time to adjust before planning any mad smoothies or crazy exercises.

[shadow=blue,left,300]Benoît Assou-Ekotto [/shadow]

"fuck it, i'll be back at the end of the footy season to collect my winnings off byram. can't be arsed with pricks any more." Orch 06/09/2011
danscouse
God

danscouse Avatar

That's just the way I like to roll....

[send pm]

Weight struggles
« Aug 25, 2019 14:10:38 GMT via mobile »

I'm tall, 6"4 which is lucky as I'm a greedy bugger whose favourite foods are sausage roll buttys and chippy teas but being tall I tend to carry it better. Throughout my adult life I've ranged between 15 stone and 11.5. Now I tend to stick somewhere between 13 and 14 stone and just keep an eye on my waistline....when my favourite jeans start getting a bit tight (32" waist) I'll do a keto diet for 6 days out of 7 and have a cheat meal on the sunday. Normally shift any excess within a few months. I'm also lucky in my work in that i normally do about 16000 steps a day there as rubbish a job as it is.

Edit I'm also near enough tee total for the last 4 years too (ive drank on really special occasions like weddings and stuff since, maybe 10 times and never enough to be drunk)

« Last Edit: Aug 25, 2019 14:12:49 GMT by danscouse » Back to Top  

I'll see you on the darkside of the moon
Tuckerman
God

Tuckerman Avatar

[send pm]

Weight struggles
« Aug 25, 2019 16:10:17 GMT via mobile »

This has turned out better than expected.

Check oot ma tunes, ey?
danscouse
God

danscouse Avatar

That's just the way I like to roll....

[send pm]

Weight struggles
« Aug 25, 2019 20:50:08 GMT via mobile »

One thing I would say though to people who are majorly overweight it might be worth thinking about why you eat / drink so much....is the weight a symptom of something deeper that you need to get to the bottom of, otherwise you'll always yo yo....counselling or hypnotherapy could help.

I'll see you on the darkside of the moon
forever
God

forever Avatar

[send pm]

Weight struggles
« Aug 31, 2019 15:33:52 GMT »

I didn't realise this forum had formally merged with Mumsnet.

That said, a couple of years ago I found myself seeing an Irish girl who insisted on cooking me hearty meals 3/4 times a week. Together with a decade and a half of enjoying a drink at least as much as the next man, I soon found my physique getting a bit LG-between-tours. The main realisation came when I found myself barely able to fit into my kilt, which I'd only had let out 4-5 years previously. Anyway, I changed my regular exercise from a leisurely swim 3-4 times a week to a more vigorous 10-15km cycle and had a go at a rough approximation of the 5:2 diet, and lost the best part of 10kg in six weeks. There was no need to ponce about with smoothies, stay off the beers or avoid certain types of foods, just to drastically cut down how much I ate twice a week, and even then I wasn't exactly going hungry.

Benoît Assou-Ekotto
God

Slapped by a dwarf.

[send pm]

Weight struggles
« Aug 31, 2019 20:23:28 GMT via mobile »

Drink the beers ✅
Shagging the birds ✅
Not giving a fuck ✅

Maximum lad points mate. Well done 👏👏👏

[shadow=blue,left,300]Benoît Assou-Ekotto [/shadow]

"fuck it, i'll be back at the end of the footy season to collect my winnings off byram. can't be arsed with pricks any more." Orch 06/09/2011
krburg
God

krburg Avatar

Dorothy Was a Waitress

[send pm]

Weight struggles
« Aug 31, 2019 20:41:21 GMT » -

Drink the beers ✅
Shagging the birds ✅
Not giving a fuck ✅

Does he lose one for wearing a skirt, though?

« Last Edit: Sept 3, 2019 11:56:59 GMT by krburg » Back to Top  

monkeytennis
God

monkeytennis Avatar

popping like the top of a bottle of hot javascript

[send pm]

Weight struggles
« Aug 31, 2019 20:43:51 GMT »

:D :D ennit

I'm lucky and smug enough to not have too many issues keeping off weight, but one of the things that has led me to be consistently slim/skinny when I have wanted to be, are 5HTP supplements. I started taking them as I was doing pills/mdma many weekends a few years ago and I was getting paranoid about completely depleting my serotonin. 5htp is the precursor to serotonin but it's effectiveness in raising it in the body is questionable still. anyway, fuck that, it's also very good for weight management (as in you low key don't feel the need to eat more than necessary) and keeping your mood steady. my weight stopped fluctuating and i was consistently slim as fuck. try it out, it's easy to get from amazon or holland & barrat or whatever, pretty cheap and safe. don't overdose on them though, stick to what it says on the tin. serotonin syndrome is no fucking joke.

« Last Edit: Aug 31, 2019 20:46:42 GMT by monkeytennis » Back to Top  
forever
God

forever Avatar

[send pm]

Weight struggles
« Sept 1, 2019 0:39:00 GMT » -

Drink the beers ✅
Shagging the birds ✅
Not giving a fuck ✅