Author Topic: IMHO Britain's Greatest Songwriter - RANKED (Read 191 times)
jp
God

jp Avatar

[send pm]

IMHO Britain's Greatest Songwriter - RANKED
« Jun 4, 2021 21:31:04 GMT »

it's the thread chrissie predicted!

so the terribly named FATPOP has set off a real weller obsession in me. i've spend the past couple of weeks revisiting his solo albums and have come up with my personal ranking. please discuss and provide me with your own thoughts!

ps my dear friend karl mahoney recommended a paul weller podcast called desperately seeking paul and i have started listening to that. i've never bothered with podcasts of any kind before. that's how deep my love for weller is currently.

1, heavy soul

never previously thought of this as my favourite but on recent listens its fucking brilliant. every song is a fucking TUNE

2, wild wood

beautiful album. maybe guilty of being slightly long. title track is one of the best songs hes ever written. STUNNING.

3, on sunset

the more i listen to this the more i think it is a fucking classic. old man weller sounding relaxed, soulful but still full of spunk.

4, true meanings

mostly highlights the more folky nick drake influenced side of weller's game which i happen to really like. some real special songs on this such as aspects and movin on. this is a lovely one to stick on late at night with a few beers.

5, 22 dreams

the album that got me back interested in weller after a bit of an early 00s slump. this is fucking great.

6, a kind revolution

another more recent album from where weller has been on a cracking run. solid. like this a lot.

7, heliocentric

awful artwork, good tunes. never spent too much time with this one. probably due to the artwork. surprisingly very good though.

8, stanley road

i know lots of people consider this his best album. i never have done. still great but he's done a lot better.

9, sonik kicks

was a bit surprised at my recent verdict on this. i properly loved it when it came out and prior to revisiting all the lps would probably have said it was in my top 3 weller solo albums. i still enjoyed it but not to the extent i remember.

10, fat pop

was disappointed on first listen but have ended up loving it. still think it is slightly inconsistent but has some huge standout tracks.

11, paul weller

i forgot how much this still sounded like the style council. still finding his feet as a solo artist but good shit.

12, wake up the nation

weller with a bit of fire back in his belly. short and snappy tunes that are good but i find a bit forgettable.

13, saturns pattern

lots of wellends think this is one of his best late period albums. i think the opposite.

14, as is now

i really love come on/lets go but the rest is fairly forgettable. like a less good version of wake up the nation.

15, illumination

i remember getting this on cd on release day. it came out in the middle of weller's dullest period for me. one x one is lovely though. the duet with kelly jones isnt.

16, studio 150

mostly dull covers.

17, jawbone

ballad of jimmy mccabe is lovely. the rest is forgettable soundtrack stuff.

what a run of solo albums. throw in several jam classics and style council lps and he is undoubtedly the finest act this country has ever produced.

WELLER4EVA

« Last Edit: Jun 5, 2021 12:46:28 GMT by jp » Back to Top  
Columbia_rocks_man
God

Columbia_rocks_man Avatar

[send pm]

« Jun 5, 2021 9:52:55 GMT via mobile »

This thread’s going well I see

forever
God

forever Avatar

[send pm]

« Jun 5, 2021 10:00:57 GMT »

jp Avatar

13, saturns pattern

lots of wellends think this is one of his best late period albums. i think the opposite.

JP "Lester Bangs" Maddix, there.

Tuckerman
Administrator

Tuckerman Avatar

[send pm]

« Jun 5, 2021 10:31:15 GMT via mobile »

Its one thing claiming that Weller is the best ever but to invest time ranking his albums and creating a thread about it is a step too far. I am seriously worried about JPs mental health and will have to give some serious consideration to his position as moderator.

mahoney
God

mahoney Avatar

[send pm]

« Jun 5, 2021 11:05:18 GMT via mobile »

Go fuck yourself tuckerman

And go fuck yourself Scotland

Columbia_rocks_man
God

[send pm]

« Jun 5, 2021 11:19:07 GMT via mobile »

forever Avatar
jp Avatar
13, saturns pattern

JP "Lester Bangs" Maddix, there.

3.5/5

Columbia_rocks_man
God

[send pm]

« Jun 5, 2021 11:20:04 GMT via mobile »

Tuckerman Avatar
Its one thing claiming that Weller is the best ever but to invest time ranking his albums and creating a thread about it is a step too far. I am seriously worried about JPs mental health and will have to give some serious consideration to his position as moderator.

I’m glad someone raised this tux. I think it’s time for a new mod. Someone like Bob.

Tuckerman
Administrator

Tuckerman Avatar

[send pm]

« Jun 5, 2021 11:47:47 GMT via mobile »

The proclamation in the title of this thread irks me. We haven't decided as a collective that Paul Weller is Britain's greatest songwriter. Yet here we have JP, stating it like its an stone cold fact.

As Admin, I have to look out for the interests of everyone. As my minion, JP should be doing the same. With this thread, there is no consideration for anyone other than himself. So its my job to step in. There are people who strongly disagree that Weller is the greatest British songwriter. JP is entitled to his opinion but the approach in naming this thread was not only arrogant but wreckless towards feelings and opinions of everyone else on The Soapbox.

I will consult with Rolli and take a day or so to ponder on the matter.

jp
God

jp Avatar

[send pm]

« Jun 5, 2021 12:47:08 GMT »

TUCKER,

I apologise. I had a shot of pfizer yesterday and it clearly went to my head. I have edited the thread title accordingly.

Tuckerman
Administrator

Tuckerman Avatar

[send pm]

« Jun 5, 2021 12:56:21 GMT via mobile »

Thanks JP. We'll consider the matter closed.

forever
God

forever Avatar

[send pm]

« Jun 5, 2021 13:09:43 GMT »

You absolute pushover, Tucker. I'm all for rehabilitation rather than punishment (although there's a strong case for forced re-education in this instance), but one quick edit and JP gets away scot free? This would never have happened under KablePunk.

barny
God

barny Avatar

[send pm]

« Jun 5, 2021 13:12:19 GMT »

I'm a bit relieved tbh

forever
God

forever Avatar

[send pm]

« Jun 5, 2021 13:32:20 GMT »

Get a grip, Barny.

mahoney
God

mahoney Avatar

[send pm]

« Jun 5, 2021 15:01:32 GMT »

Make this a sticky thread of step down Tucker.

jp
God

jp Avatar

[send pm]

« Jun 5, 2021 15:02:38 GMT via mobile »

What I should have done is played the dead parent card like Tucker did.

Weller was my Dad's favourite act and the last time I saw him live was with my dad only a couple of weeks before he died. We played Movin On and Town Called Malice at his funeral. How dare you question his status as Britain's finest songwriter.

In the words of Bobby Brown TWO CAN PLAY THAT GAME TUCKER

Tuckerman
Administrator

Tuckerman Avatar

[send pm]

« Jun 5, 2021 15:07:34 GMT via mobile »

jp Avatar
What I should have done is played the dead parent card like Tucker did.

Weller was my Dad's favourite act and the last time I saw him live was with my dad only a couple of weeks before he died. We played Movin On and Town Called Malice at his funeral. How dare you question his status as Britain's finest songwriter.

In the words of Bobby Brown TWO CAN PLAY THAT GAME TUCKER

You're playing the game a bit too late really, JP. If this had have been your initial response then I'd have had no comeback and would've looked a right bellend. Better luck next time.

jp
God

jp Avatar

[send pm]

« Jun 5, 2021 15:14:34 GMT via mobile »

Are you suggesting we all looked like bellends for claiming you deleted the forum on the morning of your Mother's memorial?

Tuckerman
Administrator

Tuckerman Avatar

[send pm]

« Jun 5, 2021 15:22:47 GMT via mobile »

jp Avatar
Are you suggesting we all looked like bellends for claiming you deleted the forum on the morning of your Mother's memorial?

I quite clearly did not delete the forum but you cunts wouldn't let up, so yes, I suppose you could say you were being bellends.

Benoît Assou-Ekotto
God

Benoît Assou-Ekotto Avatar

Slapped by a dwarf.

[send pm]

« Jun 5, 2021 18:10:07 GMT via mobile »

Tuckerman Avatar
jp Avatar
I quite clearly did not delete the forum but you cunts wouldn't let up, so yes, I suppose you could say you were being bellends.

You know me, Tucks. I don’t like to get involved in forum rough and tumble. You might want to note though that I have noted the above comment.

Just saying.

[shadow=blue,left,300]Benoît Assou-Ekotto [/shadow]

"fuck it, i'll be back at the end of the footy season to collect my winnings off byram. can't be arsed with pricks any more." Orch 06/09/2011
MaskedWrestler

MaskedWrestler Avatar

[send pm]

« Jun 7, 2021 12:34:58 GMT »

Weller is so POOH.

His solo work is shite and his cover of One Way Road is garbage as well (albeit the original is also shite)