Author Topic: What's Your Job/Profession (Read 541 times)
MaskedWrestler

MaskedWrestler Avatar

[send pm]

What's Your Job/Profession
« Jun 11, 2021 12:22:49 GMT »

After revealing my low vacation days per year in the rate your current month thread, it got me thinking where do you all work or what is your profession? Are you happy with what you are doing? Thinking about a career change etc?

I know Mahoney works for Royal Mail but are you still doing the day to day deliveries? Or sorting shit in the plant etc? Or are you now the male version of Moya Greene.

I'll start off. I worked in offshore oil and gas as an accountant for years and was laid off when COVID-19 ramped up. I now work in a similar position in the aviation industry. I might take few more courses at Uni (professional development) and see if I can move up the old company ladder here.

All in all, pretty happy with how things worked out. Where I live is a nightmare economically but we'll survive!  

Tuckerman
Administrator

Tuckerman Avatar

[send pm]

« Jun 11, 2021 13:29:59 GMT via mobile »

Product Manager for a computer game company. Technically, its an IT job, as the role in part of Global IT, but I'm not really doing anything IT. I have a development team in Montreal who develop solutions to problems that other parts of the business have. My role is to understand those business needs and come up with solutions that my devs work on. I'm also normally managing and prioritising a huge backlog, planning releases of features and maintaining a yearly roadmap. Then there's the comms around the releases, the monthly updates, the quarterly reviews, and the meetings. Oh the meetings. All of the meetings. So many.

Its challenging and can be very stressful but its very rewarding. I get to work with people from all over the world and I get to travel a lot (well, before the fucking pandemic)

Benoît Assou-Ekotto
God

Benoît Assou-Ekotto Avatar

Slapped by a dwarf.

[send pm]

« Jun 11, 2021 13:59:45 GMT »

I'm a Planning & Implementation Manager for an education awarding body. I'm more realistically part Project Manager and part Technical Delivery Manager. The education industry, as you can imagine, is full of arrogant egotistical introverts. Lots of crazy unrealistic ideas, chin stroking and little delivery. This is combined with working on a lot of complex technical products with a lot of different teams involved globally. I've done alright out of being a bit of a cowboy who will actually get stuff done. The majority of our products and releases are late. I delivery on time through all kinds of skulduggery.

I don't manage anyone which is a godsend. Managing people is the worst. The average employee I've managed over the years would be arrogant and useless. A heady mix of 'give me more to do' followed by fucking everything up with no social skills. People are just such dicks.

I work with a lot of Product Managers like Tux. Good people, very enthusiastic with crazy ideas but the first sign of trouble they run for the hills and then I come in and try and bodge their products through to release.

[shadow=blue,left,300]Benoît Assou-Ekotto [/shadow]

"fuck it, i'll be back at the end of the footy season to collect my winnings off byram. can't be arsed with pricks any more." Orch 06/09/2011
Tuckerman
Administrator

Tuckerman Avatar

[send pm]

« Jun 11, 2021 14:27:12 GMT via mobile »

I'm a Planning & Implementation Manager for an education awarding body. I'm more realistically part Project Manager and part Technical Delivery Manager. The education industry, as you can imagine, is full of arrogant egotistical introverts. Lots of crazy unrealistic ideas, chin stroking and little delivery. This is combined with working on a lot of complex technical products with a lot of different teams involved globally. I've done alright out of being a bit of a cowboy who will actually get stuff done. The majority of our products and releases are late. I delivery on time through all kinds of skulduggery.

I don't manage anyone which is a godsend. Managing people is the worst. The average employee I've managed over the years would be arrogant and useless. A heady mix of 'give me more to do' followed by fucking everything up with no social skills. People are just such dicks.

I work with a lot of Product Managers like Tux. Good people, very enthusiastic with crazy ideas but the first sign of trouble they run for the hills and then I come in and try and bodge their products through to release.

I wish I worked with a Technical Delivery Manager. There is quite literally just me, the developers and 1 QA guy. I have UX resource too but he's not dedicated to what we're doing. There's no Project Manager and no Business Analyst which means a lot of the time I'm trying to cover that part of things as well.

Really interesting to hear we're sort of closely connected in terms of what we do for work.

Tuckerman
Administrator

Tuckerman Avatar

[send pm]

« Jun 11, 2021 14:30:43 GMT via mobile »

Jun 11, 2021 13:59:45 GMT said:
Lots of crazy unrealistic ideas, chin stroking.

Also this. 100% this. Most of the time people don't actually have a fucking clue what they want so you have to hold their hand and guide them through their thinking until you get to what they actually want.

« Last Edit: Jun 11, 2021 14:35:07 GMT by Tuckerman » Back to Top  
Benoît Assou-Ekotto
God

Slapped by a dwarf.

[send pm]

« Jun 11, 2021 14:41:05 GMT »

Yeah, Delivery Managers don't really solve that problem :D The roles are pretty similar but there looks more fun in shaping the thinking behind a product.

We have lots of Delivery Managers and there is still lots of confusing discussions and weird jargon to fight through to get anywhere as most people don't actually know what they're talking about and cannot say it simply and clearly. I always thought it was an education industry thing that people refused to acknowledge they didn't know what they were doing but probably pretty common.

« Last Edit: Jun 11, 2021 14:42:28 GMT by Benoît Assou-Ekotto » Back to Top  

[shadow=blue,left,300]Benoît Assou-Ekotto [/shadow]

"fuck it, i'll be back at the end of the footy season to collect my winnings off byram. can't be arsed with pricks any more." Orch 06/09/2011
eddiemurphy
God

eddiemurphy Avatar

[send pm]

« Jun 11, 2021 14:47:13 GMT »

MaskedWrestler Avatar

I know Mahoney works for Royal Mail

i applied for christmas work (think it was 2000).

didn't bother turning up. :D

shenandoah
God

member is online

shenandoah Avatar

[send pm]

« Jun 11, 2021 15:11:16 GMT »

It's amazing how non-descriptive modern jobs descriptions have become.

mahoney
God

mahoney Avatar

[send pm]

« Jun 11, 2021 15:32:54 GMT »

eddiemurphy Avatar
MaskedWrestler Avatar
I know Mahoney works for Royal Mail

i applied for christmas work (think it was 2000).

didn't bother turning up. :D

I'll put a good word in for you Murphs, you can do this. 

srk
God

member is online

srk Avatar

[send pm]

« Jun 11, 2021 16:29:28 GMT »

Government bureaucrat who manages all corporate planning and financial matters for a reasonably large component of one of our federal government departments. I am, if I'm being honest, fucking great at it. Which is good to know, because I just came back from a two-year assignment in our indigenous affairs department, where I was, to put it mildly, completely out of my depth.

As Sam says, managing people is the absolute dirt worst. I remember when I was just starting out, I was the coordinator for our department's executive committee, and I'd always come back fuming to my Director that these people are fucking morons, and you just wait til I get there. He pulled me into his office one day and said "it's all well and good to want to be an executive and make the big decisions, but just wait until one of your employees comes in, closes the door and starts to cry and tells you they have a drug problem." How right he was...every single part of my job that has sucked for the last decade has been dealing with employee issues.

Columbia_rocks_man
God

Columbia_rocks_man Avatar

[send pm]

« Jun 11, 2021 17:22:04 GMT via mobile »

When did we all become so fucking old.

It’s only a matter of time before this forum is discussing pension plans.

Tuckerman
Administrator

Tuckerman Avatar

[send pm]

« Jun 11, 2021 17:25:46 GMT via mobile »

It's our new USP. How many forums out there are aimed towards former madferrits who are now just middle cunts fumbling their way through life?

Columbia_rocks_man
God

Columbia_rocks_man Avatar

[send pm]

« Jun 11, 2021 17:27:05 GMT via mobile »

As Ross Forgan used to shout when six pints down, I’m still mad fer it!

And by that I spend too much money on trainers when not drinking too much around the house.

Rollinice
God

Rollinice Avatar

[send pm]

« Jun 11, 2021 17:32:30 GMT »

I used to work for the DoD my early dossier skills harnessed here on this very forum came in handy. I became tired of an overwrought decision making process and the Trump administration so I left.

Taught myself Salesforce in the evening and picked up a few certs now I consult.

Ageless and Timeless

Tuckerman
Administrator

Tuckerman Avatar

[send pm]

« Jun 11, 2021 17:51:53 GMT via mobile »

Rollinice Avatar
I used to work for the DoD my early dossier skills harnessed here on this very forum came in handy. I became tired of an overwrought decision making process and the Trump administration so I left.

Taught myself Salesforce in the evening and picked up a few certs now I consult.

Nice! I almost went down that path. Before I moved into Product Management, I worked a lot with Salesforce and was doing the admin (although I'm not certified) on it for the company I work for.

Rollinice
God

Rollinice Avatar

[send pm]

« Jun 11, 2021 21:08:44 GMT »

Tuckerman Avatar
Rollinice Avatar

Nice! I almost went down that path. Before I moved into Product Management, I worked a lot with Salesforce and was doing the admin (although I'm not certified) on it for the company I work for.

Nice! It is a great skillset super in demand.

Ageless and Timeless

bakester
God

bakester Avatar

That's Tremendous

[send pm]

« Jun 12, 2021 0:30:49 GMT »

Right now I'm doing a lot of application database development (think PL/SQL-Oracle but DB2) for a retail chain. The type of stuff for PHP developers who can't/won't do on the server side for our intranet applications. That may change soon as they are having me more and more help with the Business Intelligence initiatives they are pressing. Data Warehousing + MS Power BI etc.

It is all very old to me but I am super-pleased to be as well employed as I am.

« Last Edit: Jun 12, 2021 1:42:42 GMT by bakester » Back to Top  

When I wake up in my makeup. Have you ever felt so used up as this?
jp
God

member is online

jp Avatar

[send pm]

« Jun 12, 2021 6:16:08 GMT via mobile » -

I was a moderator on a popular internet forum however I recently found myself relieved of my duties after no consultation.

barny
God

barny Avatar

[send pm]

« Jun 12, 2021 18:44:06 GMT via mobile »

It guy, elearning platforms and shit. Full stack devel, project manager, etc.

We've been hired by Oxford for a whole year and it's been... quite something. Can't say I trust astrazeneca as much as before

« Last Edit: Jun 12, 2021 18:44:56 GMT by barny » Back to Top  

srk
God

member is online

srk Avatar

[send pm]

« Jun 12, 2021 18:54:42 GMT via mobile »

GO ON…..

Quick Reply