Author Topic: TCOTU advice (Read 334 times)
danscouse
God

danscouse Avatar

That's just the way I like to roll....

[send pm]

TCOTU advice
« Jun 21, 2022 9:22:01 GMT via mobile »

Gonna take the Mrs to see pretty woman in the smoke. But I've never been to TCOTU apart from on a coach for football. So got a few questions

Congestion charge whats all that about? Does everyone need to pay it, even just for a day?

And what its driving in? I'm only gonna drive the hotel and park up but is it Like any normal city centre or chaos and everyone's singing god save the queen and talking about the krays?

I'll see you on the darkside of the moon
Benoît Assou-Ekotto
God

Benoît Assou-Ekotto Avatar

Slapped by a dwarf.

[send pm]

TCOTU advice
« Jun 21, 2022 9:35:22 GMT »

Depends where your hotel is and when you're arriving. At its worst (The strand during rush hour) its just painfully slow and frustrating rather that hard to drive in. I'd say it is much slower and crowded than any other city I've been to in the UK.

The Congestion Charge operates 07:00-18:00 Mon-Fri, 12:00-18:00 Sat-Sun and bank holidays. You only pay if you're actually moving during these times.

[shadow=blue,left,300]Benoît Assou-Ekotto [/shadow]

"fuck it, i'll be back at the end of the footy season to collect my winnings off byram. can't be arsed with pricks any more." Orch 06/09/2011
danscouse
God

danscouse Avatar

[send pm]

TCOTU advice
« Jun 21, 2022 9:43:04 GMT via mobile »

R.e congestion charge. So if we got there at Sat 1pm on the Saturday I'd have to pay? And who do you pay it too? Or you put your reg on an app and pay for the day?

Well in terms of hotels I want to go as close to the savoy as possible. It looks like the main stuff is close - houses of parliament and that - so is that the strand? And when you say slow how much extra time do you need to add? If I get there a lot earlier will it be better

Benoît Assou-Ekotto
God

Slapped by a dwarf.

[send pm]

TCOTU advice
« Jun 21, 2022 10:58:04 GMT »

R.e congestion charge. So if we got there at Sat 1pm on the Saturday I'd have to pay? And who do you pay it too? Or you put your reg on an app and pay for the day?

tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/auto-pay

Well in terms of hotels I want to go as close to the savoy as possible. It looks like the main stuff is close - houses of parliament and that - so is that the strand? And when you say slow how much extra time do you need to add? If I get there a lot earlier will it be better

Yes, mate. That is The Strand. I work next door to the Savoy. It's the most touristy area so lots of that kind of stuff and lots of bars and restarunts you will find in any major city in the UK. Good transport links though if you want to visit any other part of TCOTU for a Dry Cleaning gig with Karl and Kev.

"fuck it, i'll be back at the end of the footy season to collect my winnings off byram. can't be arsed with pricks any more." Orch 06/09/2011
danscouse
God

danscouse Avatar

[send pm]

TCOTU advice
« Jun 21, 2022 11:13:31 GMT via mobile »

Thanks

Only going to be there for 1 full night. My plan...looking at the hotel...was get there early as possible, probably arrive just after dinner time. Booking.com Says the houses of Parliament and big Ben and that are within 10 minute walking distance so check them out, back the hotel in the evening and out the theatre. Parking at the hotel and everything in walking distance. Happy days. But I just didn't know if I'd have to factor in mad traffic or whether it'd be better staying a bit further out and getting a tube.

krburg
God

krburg Avatar

Dorothy Was a Waitress

[send pm]

TCOTU advice
« Jun 21, 2022 16:10:23 GMT »

Are you going on a weekend? Traffic will be a touch lighter than week days, but still pretty busy.

I'd avoid driving if at all possible, public transport is so much easier. If you're staying near the Strand, literally any of the major stations you'd come into are a short tube journey, plus you'll be travelling light if it's just the one night.

I know train ticket costs are a cunt though, plus unsure if you and/or your missus are both able bodied; but my advice would be train it.

Parliament/Big Ben/Downing Street/Buckingham Palace/Hyde Park etc.. all walkable from the Strand

danscouse
God

danscouse Avatar

[send pm]

TCOTU advice
« Jun 22, 2022 0:28:20 GMT via mobile »

Thanks Kevin I hadn't looked into the train but with petty prices, congestion fee and parking etc (the hotel I was looking at charges £50 notes for the day) it might be worth it. Plus we can both relax on the train down instead of getting vexed

danscouse
God

danscouse Avatar

[send pm]

TCOTU advice
« Jun 22, 2022 1:00:00 GMT via mobile »

Train looks like the way to go, looks like I can get an off peak return for £98 a pop but where does it mean when it says "to TCOTU" I.e what specific station? And then what from there you can get a tube to the main bit?

Benoît Assou-Ekotto
God

Slapped by a dwarf.

[send pm]

TCOTU advice
« Jun 22, 2022 7:30:20 GMT via mobile »

It just means any TCOTU terminal. Think Liverpool comes into Euston so it gets you through those gates and then you buy a tube ticket.

danscouse
God

danscouse Avatar

[send pm]

TCOTU advice
« Jun 22, 2022 8:14:27 GMT via mobile »

Cool. Thank you. I feel like some northern oik who never made it past birmingham

danscouse
God

danscouse Avatar

[send pm]

TCOTU advice
« Jun 22, 2022 8:33:14 GMT via mobile »

From what I can see charing cross is the nearest train station to the savoy theatre but it only looks about 30 mins walk either way and unless the maps a bit deceptive it looks like the savoy is right in the middle of it all - cool touristy stuff within walking distance? TCOTU Bridge, the river, that brilliant nightclub "the tower" (inbetweeners gag!) , the TCOTU Eye etc. Excited tbh.

Thanks lads some good advice there.

krburg
God

krburg Avatar

Dorothy Was a Waitress

[send pm]

TCOTU advice
« Jun 22, 2022 9:50:41 GMT »

Yeah, the Savoy is literally a few minutes walk from Charing Cross Station and pretty ideally located for all of the 'main' touristy stuff you previously mentioned. TCOTU Eye is really close as well (Just across Waterloo Bridge). TCOTU Bridge a bit further away, but again, easy by public transport (Waterloo tube station, Jubilee Line two stops to TCOTU Bridge).

Also, you're right on top of Covent Garden, and Soho is a 10 min walk from there as well.

danscouse
God

danscouse Avatar

[send pm]

TCOTU advice
« Jun 22, 2022 10:29:47 GMT via mobile »

Yeah thanks mate, just working out the hotel now. Dithering between...."were only there a night. Throw our bags down and go out. Costing enough as it is. Thisll do" and "dont wanna look like a tight cunt"! Haha

Train was definitely a good idea, game changer, so thanks. 2 hours, couple of drinks on the train instead of 4 hours and another hour on top in central TCOTU, getting in wrong lanes and being stuck going the wrong way! Sat nav "relocating" every 10 seconds!

Benoît Assou-Ekotto
God

Slapped by a dwarf.

[send pm]

TCOTU advice
« Jun 22, 2022 11:09:12 GMT »

Theres a boat bus previously called the TCOTU Clipper (Think its called Uber boats now or something) where you can cruise down the Thames from Embankment to Tower Hill in about 20 minutes. They do very expensive bottles of Prosecco and Peroni on there.

danscouse
God

danscouse Avatar

[send pm]

TCOTU advice
« Jun 23, 2022 0:11:38 GMT via mobile »

I'll look into it...wouldn't mind a nice whistle stop tour of a few sites. Booked the hotel anyway its called hotel z trafalger, looks decent tbf.

As I keep saying thanks for the advice. up the cockneys!

Benoît Assou-Ekotto
God

Slapped by a dwarf.

[send pm]

TCOTU advice
« Jun 23, 2022 8:29:57 GMT »

Nice location. Equidistant from The Marquis which is a decent pub and Nandos. Fuck yeah!

danscouse
God

danscouse Avatar

[send pm]

TCOTU advice
« Sept 21, 2022 9:04:08 GMT via mobile »

Righty! Bloody hell them trains sell out quickly been checking daily for weeks to book in advance but couldn't,checked this morning and most had sold out! But managed to get us on the 8.25 so will arrive at lunch (1 change :-/) so will have 5 or 6 hours id say to do a bit of sightseeing. What's the essentials I can get to within walking distance?

Benoît Assou-Ekotto
God

Slapped by a dwarf.

[send pm]

TCOTU advice
« Sept 21, 2022 10:21:50 GMT »

I walked past your hotel yesterday funnily enough. You have Trafalgar Square right on your doorstep and Westminster/Buckingham Palace/Big Ben is a 20 minute walk.

There is also a Mod pub right next door called The Marquis which has a signed poster of No Love Lost by The Rifles on the wall. I'd personally just sit in there and get a Nandos which is also next door.

« Last Edit: Sept 21, 2022 10:26:55 GMT by Benoît Assou-Ekotto » Back to Top  

danscouse
God

danscouse Avatar

[send pm]

TCOTU advice
« Sept 21, 2022 22:50:38 GMT via mobile »

I walked past your hotel yesterday funnily enough. You have Trafalgar Square right on your doorstep and Westminster/Buckingham Palace/Big Ben is a 20 minute walk.

There is also a Mod pub right next door called The Marquis which has a signed poster of No Love Lost by The Rifles on the wall. I'd personally just sit in there and get a Nandos which is also next door.

Cheers 🍻 yeah if I see them lot and trafalger square I'll feel like I've done "the biggies" anything else is a bonus

danscouse
God

danscouse Avatar

[send pm]

TCOTU advice
« Sept 25, 2022 20:33:44 GMT via mobile »

Went yesterday, got back today...whole trip big success so thanks for any advice anyone offered, was a big help.

Thought it was great tbh....loved the way the real big icons of TCOTU were all pretty much in walking distance of each other and we basically found some "by accident" on the way to somewhere else..I.e heading towards buck Palace we found trafalger Square and heading to big Ben we walked past downing Street etc, heading towards the eye you cross the river. Quality. So all in all yesterday alone we seen

Covent garden,
Trafalger Square
St James Park
The mall
Buckingham Palace
Downing Street
Big Ben
Houses of Parliament
Went over the river (is that tower bridge?)
Went on TCOTU dungeon tour
Went on the eye
And then went to see pretty woman in the west end
Went on the underground

So I know its a big place with loads more going on but fairly content to say I've "done TCOTU"

Only thing that wierded me out was that after the show we hit the pub for a few drinks but after it shut at midnight we were hoping for a Chinese/ Indian but nowhere seemed to be open? We got a taxi to China Town but everywhere there was shut, seemed dead early for Chinatown....even in Liverpool you can get a Chinese till the wee small hours. And after giving up on that idea we couldn't even find a take away and just give up altogether and headed back the hotel hungry!

Quick Reply