Author Topic: BOOKS (Read 225 times)
mahoney
God

mahoney Avatar

[send pm]

BOOKS
« Jan 5, 2023 18:10:05 GMT »

I thought we had a thread but couldn't find it. 

What have you read recently? I am going to do my best to get the soapbox thriving again. Murphs, must be some good books out there on the DEATH PEN.

The book Tarantino used for Jackie Brown. A few big differences including some scenes where Ordell & Melanie go to do a weapons deal with some white power mob that turns into a shootout... oh and Jackie Brown is white.

Currently reading this, nothing special but has lots of interviews with the stars of Championship manager from back in the day like Cherno Samba & Tonton Zola Moukoko. I installed Champ Man 01/02 recently and a month of my life was erased. Had to delete it again, my exam results at school definitely took a pounding due to the time I put into that game, so it's nice reading about people that lost their wives & kids to their addiction.  

Columbia_rocks_man
God

Columbia_rocks_man Avatar

[send pm]

BOOKS
« Jan 5, 2023 19:29:58 GMT via mobile »

There’s a great second hand book shop near me. I go in a couple of times a year and buy a random pile of paperbacks to keep me going.

I recently finished this: en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoner_(novel)

The synopsis makes it sound the most boring story ever but I found it strangely gripping. The style of writing draws you in and you find yourself rooting for this character as you follow him through his life.

A book I’m sure all Soapboxers would enjoy is this (and not just because it’s more a short story than a proper novel lol)

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Commitments_(novel)

You might have seen the film, but the book is better IMO. A properly funny read. And Roddy Doyle shows off some impressive Motown knowledge throughout.

« Last Edit: Jan 5, 2023 19:31:02 GMT by Columbia_rocks_man » Back to Top  
eddiemurphy
God

eddiemurphy Avatar

[send pm]

BOOKS
« Jan 5, 2023 19:35:29 GMT »

not picked up anything on the kindle in a while.

probably get the steve nicol book before long.

« Last Edit: Jan 5, 2023 20:06:10 GMT by eddiemurphy » Back to Top  

tucker
Administrator

tucker Avatar

[send pm]

BOOKS
« Jan 6, 2023 10:51:38 GMT »

Might finally get around to Closer You Are this year, but I fear it'll pull me back into a GBV obsession.
I want to crack on the The Dark Tower books. I read the first 2 a few years back and love them. I might start over and try and get through them all.
I'm also a 3rd of the way through The Stand, so I should really go back to that as well.

barny
God

barny Avatar

[send pm]

BOOKS
« Jan 6, 2023 11:58:09 GMT » -

Been making a slow progress with The Rebel by Camus, it's the kind of book I only read 2 or 3 pages each time and will take a year to finish but enjoy it anyway.

At the same time mixing it with some others, right now I've been quite pleased with "Océano mar" (Sea ocean) by Alessandro Baricco, totally different but really surprised so far.

shenandoah
God

shenandoah Avatar

[send pm]

BOOKS
« Jan 6, 2023 13:51:34 GMT via mobile » -

Been reading an Italian book my brother gave me for Christmas whose title translates to "Talented and Damned" and it's all about these enormously gifted yet too-crazy-to-fit-in football players like Socrates, George Best, Higuita and Gazza Gascoigne. It's a good read, it covers a lot of heroes from my youth but also players before my time whose stories I had never heard.

Also occasionally reading a book called Jay's Journal of Anomalies by Ricky Jay, who was one of my favourite magicians before he passed away. I had searched for this for AGES before I located a 2nd hand library copy and had it shipped from the US to the Netherlands, but the book arrived only a couple of days after I had moved abroad, so a friend of mine had too keep it until last month when I visited the NL again.
It's basically a collection of articles and stories about freakish individuals who used to perform on stage, mostly from the 1700-1800s... Magicians, con men, psychics, dwarfs, people without limbs, dogs that could do algebra, strange unidentified animals and in general, freaks of nature. Well worth all the trouble I went into to acquire a copy.

mahoney
God

mahoney Avatar

[send pm]

BOOKS
« Jan 6, 2023 14:55:04 GMT »

Hey Simone, can you do any magic tricks?

Make Eddie Murphy disappear? HAHAHAHA

mahoney
God

mahoney Avatar

[send pm]

BOOKS
« Jan 6, 2023 14:55:28 GMT »

tucker Avatar
Might finally get around to Closer You Are this year, but I fear it'll pull me back into a GBV obsession.

Oh it will. 

krburg
God

krburg Avatar

Dorothy Was a Waitress

[send pm]

BOOKS
« Jan 6, 2023 15:11:09 GMT »

I'm about a third the way through this and thoroughly enjoying it:

It's in 'Oral history' style and is basically 10 chapters each dedicatated to a year from 75-85, so basically starts with the emergence of punk and how that essentially melded into what will become the New Romantic scene and the Blitz kids.
Enjoyable as it's being told by the people who were there so you're getting the history of punk through a more honest lens and how that short lived 'scene' imploded pretty quickly once it had been adopted basically by yobbos and then the early punks, who had largely formed and mingled out of a combination of art school, Soul boys and the gay scene, turned back towards electonic, funk, post punk and Bowie which was then the genesis for what would come next. 

eddiemurphy
God

eddiemurphy Avatar

[send pm]

BOOKS
« Jan 7, 2023 19:34:39 GMT »

mahoney Avatar
Hey Simone, can you do any magic tricks?

Make Eddie Murphy disappear? HAHAHAHA

8-)

titchjuicy
God

titchjuicy Avatar

[send pm]

BOOKS
« Jan 8, 2023 19:49:34 GMT via mobile »

krburg Avatar
I'm about a third the way through this and thoroughly enjoying it:

It's in 'Oral history' style and is basically 10 chapters each dedicatated to a year from 75-85, so basically starts with the emergence of punk and how that essentially melded into what will become the New Romantic scene and the Blitz kids.
Enjoyable as it's being told by the people who were there so you're getting the history of punk through a more honest lens and how that short lived 'scene' imploded pretty quickly once it had been adopted basically by yobbos and then the early punks, who had largely formed and mingled out of a combination of art school, Soul boys and the gay scene, turned back towards electonic, funk, post punk and Bowie which was then the genesis for what would come next. 

Have you seen the Netflix doc about the Blitz club and birth if that scene? It's worth a watch.

Quick Reply