Author Topic: Where should I go on holiday? (Read 643 times)
monkeytennis
God

monkeytennis Avatar

popping like the top of a bottle of hot javascript

[send pm]

Where should I go on holiday?
« Oct 8, 2010 0:19:23 GMT »

forever Avatar
. Tbh Moz, I'd just go wherever you can get cheap flights, in my experience absolutely anywhere is worth exploring.

this is great advice.

Moz
God

Moz Avatar

[send pm]

« Oct 8, 2010 0:22:30 GMT »

Aye tbf. I probably agree, I just don't wanna get there and it be a ghost town for the 7 days. I'd like a bit of something to get up to. Doing a bit of googling though tbf. >:(

forever
God

forever Avatar

[send pm]

« Oct 8, 2010 0:25:06 GMT »

Unless you're staying in a village that shouldn't really be a problem. One of the things I like most about going on holiday is the possibility to wander aimlessly, discovering parts you hadn't read about in some shitty Rough Guide and stopping for a beer here and there as you please.

monkeytennis
God

monkeytennis Avatar

popping like the top of a bottle of hot javascript

[send pm]

« Oct 8, 2010 0:28:59 GMT »

yeah guide books are shite. ok, the history sections are quite useful and interesting but i had mine stolen after a couple of weeks of travelling and after the initial panic (and sadness as it was a present from my sister) it was like a breath of fresh air. so many people do exactly what lonely planet tells them to. thing is, this shit is usually out of date as soon as it hits the shelves. much better to wander around, have a beer with the locals and see what they would recommend.

although if you are only going for a few days, that might be a bit impractical.

forever
God

forever Avatar

[send pm]

« Oct 8, 2010 0:29:49 GMT »

monkeytennis Avatar
forever Avatar
I stayed in Wombats in Munich a few years back, was ok but lacked the atmosphere of a smaller hostel & I nearly punched my mate at 5am because he wouldn't let me finish my sentence trying to chat up a rank Aussie bird.

:D unacceptable cockblocking or a friendly act?

:D :D :D neither, he's a spasticated gobshite and couldn't accept that I was trying to backtrack on something he'd said which happened to be horrifically offensive to her. He couldn't accept I was trying to diffuse the situation and simeltaneously try to fuck her. I do remember him describing me as a lager lout at the time, if only for the fact that he'd got too bloated and moved onto gin and tonic. Sometimes I question why I hang about with that dick :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

forever
God

forever Avatar

[send pm]

« Oct 8, 2010 0:34:16 GMT »

monkeytennis Avatar
yeah guide books are shite. ok, the history sections are quite useful and interesting but i had mine stolen after a couple of weeks of travelling and after the initial panic (and sadness as it was a present from my sister) it was like a breath of fresh air. so many people do exactly what lonely planet tells them to. thing is, this shit is usually out of date as soon as it hits the shelves. much better to wander around, have a beer with the locals and see what they would recommend.

although if you are only going for a few days, that might be a bit impractical.

Totally, although really there's no subsitute for staying with people who live in the city. A few years back I had a long weekend in Paris with a mate who was doing his 3rd year of uni over there, whereas Lonely Planet might have said "Eiffel Tower lol!!!", we got monged on red wine and Leffe and had a pubcrawl round Oberkampf until 5am, when he took a slash in a phonebox, gave the finger to a nightbus, demanded "frites et fromage!" in a kebab shop and chundered all over his cooker. A far more cultured experience tbh.

dereffe

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Oct 8, 2010 5:09:52 GMT »

Hamburg is cool Mozzieboi

Edit: I wouldn't go there for 7 days though.

« Last Edit: Oct 8, 2010 5:11:23 GMT by dereffe » Back to Top  
forever
God

forever Avatar

[send pm]

« Oct 8, 2010 7:28:51 GMT »

Any recommendations for Hamburg? I'm away there in a week's time ???

barny
God

barny Avatar

[send pm]

« Oct 8, 2010 8:13:50 GMT »

monkeytennis Avatar
forever Avatar
. Tbh Moz, I'd just go wherever you can get cheap flights, in my experience absolutely anywhere is worth exploring.

this is great advice.

This. Also Belin and Prague are both incredible places to go (I've never been in Prague though) but certainly harder in winter. 7 days is a long time, big cities or maybe you should check cheap flight connections...

dereffe

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Oct 8, 2010 8:25:36 GMT »

forever Avatar
Any recommendations for Hamburg? I'm away there in a week's time ???

I was only there for 2 nights but yeah well, since you're German you probably know the Reeperbahn because it's Hamburg most famous street. The Reeperbahn itself is pretty shit (nasty red light stuff/regular bars and stuff) but still is pretty cool to get smashed with your mates. Close to the Reeperbahn (in its side streets) you have quite a few nice venues/bars with gentle people and bands or a singer or whatever performing. We went to this place called 'Hasenschaukel' which was nice. Met a bunch of Swedes and Welshmen there. Good times. There also was this festival called 'Rockspektakel' :D at the 'Rathausmarkt' when we were there. Was funny as fuck, the shittiest bands a man could imagine played there but still we had a proper good time with all the St. Pauli ladz 8-)

« Last Edit: Oct 8, 2010 8:27:25 GMT by dereffe » Back to Top  
forever
God

forever Avatar

[send pm]

« Oct 8, 2010 9:36:07 GMT »

:D :D :D :D :D I'm German? We're staying in a hostel not far from the Reeperbahn so will probably check that and the rest of St Pauli out, otherwise just wander & try to fire into anything female in sight.

dereffe

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Oct 8, 2010 9:42:56 GMT »

:D FFS thought retiredboxer wrote it :o

I know you're Scottish. My apologies ;)

PS. Are you there when St. Pauli's playing a home match? Think it would be worthwhile visiting a match if they do. Anything you don't expect to see at a football match, you see there

« Last Edit: Oct 8, 2010 9:45:55 GMT by dereffe » Back to Top  
forever
God

forever Avatar

[send pm]

« Oct 8, 2010 9:57:02 GMT »

Sadly not :( I'd heard their games were pretty keen though, so if I go back I'll be sure to try to catch a game.

retiredboxer

retiredboxer Avatar

[send pm]

« Oct 8, 2010 10:31:17 GMT »

I'm not too fond of Hamburg myself but I used to go there for gigs all the time when I lived in Bremen. Schanzenviertel is a nice area to check out, the former squat district, though it gets more gentrified by the day and theres only one squatted house left, rote flora (so if you're into that it's worth going there, they have gigs and parties on every now and then as well).

Then there's the neighboring Karolinenviertel, you can just stroll around there and you'll find lots of nice 2nd hand and record shops and bars. Prinzenbar is really cool bar on Reeperbahn, with djs playing twee pop and indie, for night clubs check out Übel und Gefährlich and Grüner Jäger. The museum of modern art is worth a visit normally, also the harbour is nice, there's a bar nearby called mutter thats a bit rumshackle but fun and open all night.

« Last Edit: Oct 8, 2010 10:58:22 GMT by retiredboxer » Back to Top  

There's ice on the sink where we bathe / So how can you call this a home When you know it's a grave?
forever
God

forever Avatar

[send pm]

« Oct 8, 2010 11:10:20 GMT »

retiredboxer Avatar
I'm not too fond of Hamburg myself but I used to go there for gigs all the time when I lived in Bremen. Schanzenviertel is a nice area to check out, the former squat district, though it gets more gentrified by the day and theres only one squatted house left, rote flora (so if you're into that it's worth going there, they have gigs and parties on every now and then as well).

Then there's the neighboring Karolinenviertel, you can just stroll around there and you'll find lots of nice 2nd hand and record shops and bars. Prinzenbar is really cool bar on Reeperbahn, with djs playing twee pop and indie, for night clubs check out Übel und Gefährlich and Grüner Jäger. The museum of modern art is worth a visit normally, also the harbour is nice, there's a bar nearby called mutter thats a bit rumshackle but fun and open all night.

Cool, cheers for that. I'm going to be in Bremen too, we're flying there and back from Lubeck so I'm looking forward to seeing all 3 places.

dereffe

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Oct 8, 2010 11:12:30 GMT »

Lubeck is quite a nice city as well. The city centre is on the UNESCO list, went there for a day but I don't think there's too much to do (wasn't there at night, so don't know). Worth checking out though. Never been to Bremen but according to some mates who went there for Werder Bremen - Ajax in the UEFA Cup a few years back Bremen was a bit boring.

leanne

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Oct 8, 2010 11:38:14 GMT »

Moz Avatar
Wanna go away in December (11-18th preferably), somewhere cheap but good tbh. Me n my bird. Any bargain hotel recommendations?

Go to Cologne for the Xmas markets.

Not sure how cheap it'll be but it'll definitely be good.

dereffe

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Oct 8, 2010 11:40:14 GMT »

You hear it Moz man. Germany is the way to go!

Deleted

Deleted Avatar

[send pm]

« Oct 8, 2010 15:13:16 GMT »

I really don't like going abroad, I never feel happy or comfortable. Not my thing

Also, I don't reply to the food threads because food bores me, sure nice is food is good but not enough to want me to care about making it or talking about it.

woooooh, I can feel some stick coming :) Just leave me alone in the centre of the universe to eat my beans and mash every night, I am happy.

chuzeville

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Oct 8, 2010 15:14:54 GMT »

Come to Marseille, Moz. It would be my pleasure to show you around.

Quick Reply