Author Topic: Euro 2020 thread (Read 1,916 times)
Fuzzy Dunlop
God

Fuzzy Dunlop Avatar

[send pm]

Euro 2020 thread
« Dec 6, 2012 16:57:23 GMT »

...in most places from the sounds of it. Probably the closest England will get to hosting any international football tournaments anytime soon.

Football's 2020 European Championship tournament will be held in a number of cities across the continent, Uefa has announced.

It means there will be no one country hosting the tournament.

The Football Association has already put forward Wembley to European governing body Uefa as a possible venue for the final.

Uefa's executive committee took the decision at a meeting in Lausanne, Switzerland, on Thursday.

Wales, Scotland and the Republic of Ireland have also expressed their interest to Uefa in staging matches.

Uefa general secretary Gianni Infantino told a press conference after the meeting: "Some important decisions have been taken.

"Uefa Euro 2020 will be staged across the continent, in various major cities, following a decision taken today. A Euro for Europe follows an initial idea by Uefa president Michel Platini.

"The response has been extremely positive from all the national associations."

He added the bidding process for the host cities would start in March and decisions would be made in the spring of 2014.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2021 23:39:17 GMT by Fuzzy Dunlop » Back to Top  

"I am a tender, beautiful and loving guy that happens to slap a photographer now and then because they get in my way."
Deleted

Deleted Avatar

[send pm]

Euro 2020 thread
« Dec 6, 2012 17:00:56 GMT »

That's fucking jank.

leanne

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Euro 2020 thread
« Dec 6, 2012 17:24:46 GMT »

Jesus Christ.

Deleted

Deleted Avatar

[send pm]

Euro 2020 thread
« Dec 6, 2012 17:29:19 GMT »

I see he wants to scrap the Europa League in favour of a 64 team champions league in the near future too. Anything so that the rich clubs get even richer.

srk
God

srk Avatar

[send pm]

Euro 2020 thread
« Dec 6, 2012 21:38:01 GMT »

mahoney Avatar
I see he wants to scrap the Europa League in favour of a 64 team champions league in the near future too. Anything so that the rich clubs get even richer.

Sounds like that idea was DOA. Apparently the big change in the short term will be giving the europa league winner a spot in the CL...which I can't believe they hadn't already done.

brad
God

brad Avatar

The Rainham End

[send pm]

Euro 2020 thread
« Dec 6, 2012 21:55:46 GMT »

Abortion

Just like the Champs League, Europa League and all their other abortion competitions.

schnook

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Euro 2020 thread
« Dec 6, 2012 22:24:00 GMT »

This is terrible because...? I'd be interested to see how it works out

thereandthen
God

thereandthen Avatar

[send pm]

Euro 2020 thread
« Dec 6, 2012 22:43:17 GMT »

Pathetic decision.
When you follow your nacional team at the EURO you would expect them to play in 3 or 4 cities from 1 or 2 countries, not in Lisbon, Paris, Varsaw and Moscow. And how would be the decisions of the cities?
Platini ideas have been nothing more than shite and for the protection of the rich clubs and the top 3 leagues.

grotesque

grotesque Avatar

[send pm]

Euro 2020 thread
« Dec 7, 2012 4:32:16 GMT »

anyone care to share arguments why this is fucking Jank, abortion, pathetic decision, jesus christ...?

leanne

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Euro 2020 thread
« Dec 7, 2012 10:55:29 GMT »

It'll be harder to run, less of an event, they're will be more teams having an unfair home advantage (probably skewed to ensure the 'bigger' countries get through to make more money), teams could have to travel thousands of miles with only 24 hours rest, more expensive for fans wanting to watch their countries, poorer atmosphere inside grounds........

Deleted

Deleted Avatar

[send pm]

Euro 2020 thread
« Dec 7, 2012 12:54:06 GMT »

^ What he said. These major competitions like the world cup, euro's, Olympics are so memorable because of their locations. It really would destroy something that is very special by having the games all over Europe.

stocky
God

stocky Avatar

[send pm]

Euro 2020 thread
« Dec 7, 2012 13:05:06 GMT »

Terrible decision, along with the expanded champions league and the expanded euro champs (they want to make it a 24 team competition ffs, why even bother with qualifying then?)

As a prophet once said 'the games gone mad'.

schnook

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Euro 2020 thread
« Dec 7, 2012 15:31:01 GMT »

leanne Avatar
It'll be harder to run, less of an event, they're will be more teams having an unfair home advantage (probably skewed to ensure the 'bigger' countries get through to make more money), teams could have to travel thousands of miles with only 24 hours rest, more expensive for fans wanting to watch their countries, poorer atmosphere inside grounds........

But this is nearly all supposition and guesswork about logistics of which nothing has been said yet. The home advantage point clashes somewhat with your last two about cost and atmosphere as well. See what the proposal actually looks like before flying off the handle, I think this could be great.

leanne

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Euro 2020 thread
« Dec 7, 2012 15:41:34 GMT »

I disagree. I wasn't for one moment suggesting it would be more expensive for fans to watch their team at home as that would be insane.

Also a greater parity in fan distribution helps the atmosphere. It's why cup games usually provide a better atmosphere than the league ones.

Tbh, it didn't make me 'fly off the handle'. Just think it's a bit naff and smacks of Platinin trying to be some sort of pioneering visionary.

Deleted

Deleted Avatar

[send pm]

Euro 2020 thread
« Dec 7, 2012 15:43:58 GMT »

Only somebody who loves the social network could think this is a good idea!!

schnook

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Euro 2020 thread
« Dec 7, 2012 15:59:10 GMT »

leanne Avatar
I disagree. I wasn't for one moment suggesting it would be more expensive for fans to watch their team at home as that would be insane.

Also a greater parity in fan distribution helps the atmosphere. It's why cup games usually provide a better atmosphere than the league ones.

Tbh, it didn't make me 'fly off the handle'. Just think it's a bit naff and smacks of Platinin trying to be some sort of pioneering visionary.

I know you weren't mate, but I'm saying there's only so many potential problems you can list before the new ones start solving the old ones, there will be good and bad, but I think there's huge potential for the good to outweigh the bad. The flying off the handle bit was aimed at the whole thread, likes

mahoney Avatar
Only somebody who loves the social network could think this is a good idea!!

Just bought it on DVD, bit disappointed with the disk art tbh, gone off the film now

abs
God

abs Avatar

[send pm]

Euro 2020 thread
« Dec 7, 2012 23:14:03 GMT »

So the 2020 Euros will be held over an entire continent, and the 2022 World Cup will effectively be held in one city? (I'm aware Qatar isn't technically a city state but it might as well be).

barny
God

barny Avatar

[send pm]

Euro 2020 thread
« Dec 9, 2012 14:02:02 GMT »

Shit idea

barny
God

barny Avatar

[send pm]

Euro 2020 thread
« Dec 9, 2012 14:02:39 GMT »

Abortion!

thereandthen
God

thereandthen Avatar

[send pm]

Euro 2020 thread
« Dec 9, 2012 15:13:36 GMT »

abs Avatar
So the 2020 Euros will be held over an entire continent, and the 2022 World Cup will effectively be held in one city? (I'm aware Qatar isn't technically a city state but it might as well be).

It will be held wherever they can get more money.