Author Topic: rate the last gig you went to (Read 34,302 times)
jp
God

jp Avatar

[send pm]

rate the last gig you went to
« Jun 19, 2021 21:44:54 GMT via mobile »

John Bramwell of I Am Kloot fame in Norwich tonight.

Most pissed I've ever seen him to the point of being a bit concerned about him this time. Started off by properly taking the piss out of some bird near the front who had clearly been dragged along by her fella and kept coming back to her after every song. Knocked a couple of pints over during the set too but musically outstanding. Set took a dark turn when he went on a big rant midway through about us cunts in normal jobs being supported by the government while he had to survive on pence during this "made up covid bullshit". To make matters worse it was at this point someone requested a song he said he wrote about how daughter who he hadn't seen in two years and didn't feel able to play it. Looked like he was going to cry. Proper intimate gig though with only about 25 people there and it was brilliant despite the weird moments.

mahoney
God

member is online

mahoney Avatar

[send pm]

« Jun 27, 2021 5:51:00 GMT »

Went to the Albany in Deptford for a night put on by Charles Hayward of This Heat fame with popular forum member Krburg. He opened the night under his ZigZag+Swirl moniker. It's basically him on vocals/drums with some electronic soundscapes that he controls with foot pedals. It was a little absurd at times, imagine Bowie's Earthing being performed by one man & you kinda get the picture.

Next up were The Utopia Strong (Featuring six time Snooker world champion Steve "The Nugget" Davis). They were billed as the headliner but went on second. Lovely mix of ambient & psych. They performed 3 pieces, by the third they started to make me feel sleepy :D Not that it was dull, it just has that kind of relaxing feel to it. Enjoyed it a lot, these young kids definitely sound like they're inspired by The Jesus Abyss.

Morgan Simpson (Black Midi drummer) headlined. It was billed originally as The Morgan Simpson Trio but was changed to a group. Ended up performing as a six piece (drums, 2 guitars, stand-up bass keys & Sax). Geordie on guitar & the guys Black Midi have been using occasionally live on sax/keys. Loved this, very restrained for the most part in the same way In A Silent Way by Miles Davis is (mid way they even did a passage from that record, or at least riffed off of it).  As far as I know this was the first time they had done this type of set, really impressive. Morgan is so fucking talented. So refreshing to see musicians on a regular basis & get something completely different each time. Really impressed with The Albany, hadn't even heard of it previously.
All 3 sets are available to view on here:
www.thealbany.org.uk/music-is-social-space-streaming-access/

« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2021 6:05:55 GMT by mahoney » Back to Top  
mahoney
God

member is online

mahoney Avatar

[send pm]

« Jun 28, 2021 5:15:20 GMT »

Black Country, New Road @ Islington Assembly Hall last neet with popular forum member Krburg (tho he was sat elsewhere). This was really fucking good. I'd seen BCNR maybe half a dozen times prior to this & my general opinion on them as a live act was that they always had a few moments that were outstanding, yet a chunk of their set always never landed for me. Tonight they performed maybe 60% new material which sounded wonderful with the older stuff chosen being the material that was always the highlight of their earlier gigs. The album surprised the hell out of me, was a little on the fence with these guys prior to that so maybe this has swayed my judgement somewhat but this is easily my favourite time seeing them perform.

Regarding socially distanced gigs... having seats & someone deliver beer to me is going to be hugely missed by old man Mahoney when things return to normal. VIVA LA COVID

barny
God

member is online

barny Avatar

[send pm]

« Jul 1, 2021 14:54:31 GMT » -

Saw Micah P. Hinson yesterday, 3rd night of a residency (we never have that kind of things over here). Seated 1st row for some reason, he was smoking and making jokes about Trump. It was weird, it was nice, lovely guitar playing, he played Leadbelly, Radiohead and Interpol covers. I'm really jealous of talented people.

mahoney
God

member is online

mahoney Avatar

[send pm]

« Jul 2, 2021 6:34:03 GMT »

Saw Black Country, New Road again Tuesday with popular forum member Krburg. Had a good drink during the England Germany game & due to that this gig seemed to absolutely fly by. They did 1 or 2 different new tracks which they didn't perform the other night so I'd imagine they have enough material already for LP#2. The new song about the Concord is bloody wonderful. 

Went to the Windmill last night (no popular forum members in attendance) to see Black Midi. A 2-piece called Toe supported. Just Sax & drums, think it was one of their very first gigs & they were extremely impressive. They did probably close to an hour which perhaps was a little too long as it got a little samey in spots but they were really bloody good. Lazy comparison would be the more energetic moments on Sons of Kemet & Melt Yourself Down records. Not been able to find a bandcamp or social media for them as of yet due to their daft name. Will definitely keep an eye out for them

Black Midi headlined, was billed as secret guests but literally everyone was there for them. I say it every time but no 2 Black Midi gigs are ever the same. Did a fair bit from the new record which sounded great. Hey Joe which I've heard them do a couple of times before, a cover I didn't recognise which sounded like a metal number & an absolutely BANGING cover of War Pigs. Morgan was like a man possessed during that. Also did a number where Geordie moved on bass and Cameron an acoustic guitar... either a new song or a cover, folky but had some loud passages. What a band, though it's getting increasingly harder to get tickets for these Windmill gigs & (hopefully) they'll be back doing proper gigs in bigger venues soon, though I'll miss these little seated gigs.
Also, an Uber home in less than 30 minutes from Brixton for £18.. the stuff dreams are made of.

jp
God

jp Avatar

[send pm]

« Jul 2, 2021 8:04:41 GMT »

a black midi gig without popular forum member kevin burgess? outrageous

mahoney
God

member is online

mahoney Avatar

[send pm]

« Jul 2, 2021 9:13:50 GMT via mobile »

He decided to see PVA instead. Geordie was furious

krburg
God

krburg Avatar

Dorothy Was a Waitress

[send pm]

« Jul 2, 2021 9:30:00 GMT »

I felt so guilty all night. :(

But, I'd had a couple of PVA gigs cancelled in recent times, so it was time to see the previous owners of my Korg Minilogue. They were really good as well, played a handful of new songs.

But I did miss Geordie :(

mahoney
God

member is online

mahoney Avatar

[send pm]

« Jul 5, 2021 15:56:58 GMT »

Saw a night of garage-rock at the New Cross Inn with no popular forum members. Local 3-piece called Harsh Buzz opened, rather forgettable. GOGO LOCO were fun, a guitar/drum duo doing a Bo Diddley meets surf-rock kinda thing (including all of Bo's signature guitar poses). The night was headlined by TCOTU's premier part-time garage-rock icons King Salami & The Cumberland 3. King Salami is such a star. Pretty much the type of band that can never fail to be a great time. Was a bit strange watching something like that sat down, I'm used to them being on late night & everybody getting into it but it was still a wonderful evening. 

jp
God

jp Avatar

[send pm]

« Jul 24, 2021 9:16:14 GMT » -

did a day at latitude yesterday and fuck it was good. i thought it might feel a bit weird as my first "normal" event in so long but within minutes it was as if covid had never existed and everything was back as it should be.

started out by seeing the goa express whose singles i really like. they were really strong live but a couple of the numbers i'd not heard before didn't sound anywhere near as good as the singles. it was during this set i found myself stood next to an old man wearing a fairy outfit with his hairy back on display and it reminded me that actually festivals do still have a fucking horrendous side to them.

there wasn't anyone i particularly wanted to see on next so ended up going to see lynks on the main stage. basically he's a camp bloke wearing a gimp mask with some backing dancers. it was fucking amazing haha. simple songs almost in the style of tim ten yen but about masturbation.the crowd went fucking wild for it with circle pits and stuff. charlie sheen from shame came out and did a song too. lots of swearing and rude lyrics which im not sure how well it would have gone down with all the middle class parents and kids latitude tends to get. main stage seemed a bit of a weird choice but it worked. so glad i checked him out. left with a massive smile on my face.

then went to see the cool greenhouse who were high up on my must see list. they didn't disappoint. did a nice little improv bit at the start of alexa where they thanked loads of the bands playing on the bill and various mundane festival staff members. only complaint was the set was over far too quickly.

i stuck around in that tent to watch a scottish band called vlure next. they've got potential but it was a bit too much for me. they were like a cross between the twilight sad and simple minds with a touch of glasvegas thrown in. intense frontman but a few too many tight leather trousers and shit tattoos for my liking.

in the same tent next were hotel lux who were a last minute addition and someone i was excited to see as i loved their ep from last year. i was surpsied to see they look like a bunch of geeks but the gig was good.

pva were meant to be on next but had to pull out and were replaced by the folly group another upcoming postpunk band from TCOTU. i wasn't so keen on the recent ep but they were pretty good live. left just before the end though as i had kinda had enough of postpunk bands by that point so decided to squeeze in...

stephen fretwell! someone id not seen in 18 years. tbh i was never that fussed by him and have found his resurgence and especially signing to speedy wunderground all a bit weird. i quite liked the songs on the new album but find his voice a bit too nice at times. really enjoyed him live though and will definitley go back and give the new album a few more spins now.

rushed back to the alcove (the tent with all these young postpunk bands playing) to see sinead o'brien. she was another act i was excited to see after loving her ep from last year. she really surprised me with how strong the live set was. one of my big surprises of the day.

went to a different tent next to see another hotly tipped new band - regressive left, play their first ever gig. stage was running a bit late so when i got there some terrible drag act was doing opera. it was only when a mate arrived they informed me it was the drummer from happyness! managed to catch the first 3 songs from regressive left and sounded pretty good but as they had come on late i had to leave to go and catch...

squid! they fucking smashed it. big slot for them in and they drew a huge crowd. i thought the socially distanced gig i went to recently was good but this was on another level.

dry cleaning were my last set of the day and something i had been so pumped for. i'd last seen them in 2018 supporting bodega when they'd not even done a headline gig at that point. fucking hell they have grown in confidence and stature since then. had a real big crowd and the atmosphere was immense. could tell the band were proper touched by it too. i'm pretty certain it's their first uk gig since the album came out so quite a big deal for them and they've no doubt got loads bigger since their last uk gigs. i knew i loved this band but this gig took it up several notches. all 4 of them are totally vital. i don't think i'd appreciated what a good drummer nick is before and tom's guitar work was mesmorising at times. felt quite taken aback after their performance and still in awe now.

overall a great day. latitude worked it quite nicely for me this year with all the pop shit on the main couple of stages but a really good lineup of young upcoming bands i love on the smaller stages. it meant i could stay away from most of the dicks and have a solid lineup of good new bands with proper music fans. only thing missing was karl mahoney by my side.