Author Topic: rate the last gig you went to (Read 52,116 times)
mahoney
God

mahoney Avatar

[send pm]

rate the last gig you went to
« Dec 15, 2022 10:05:51 GMT »

Saturday I saw The Fallen Women's annual Christmas gig at the Lexington. All female band doing covers of The Fall with members of the audience singing + guests. They had members of Earl Brutus, Lush, Luke Haines, Stewart Lee & the singer from mother fucking Chumbawamba do vocals :D fun night.

Last night was (probably) the last gig of the year. Spent with popular forum member Krburg, a Christmas party put on by end of the road festival at The Lexington. Tapir opened, dressed for the occasion. Love love love this band. Bingo Fury were decent, 2nd time seeing them, I like parts of their set. Potentially could make a good record, time will see. Night was ended by PVA, short but banging set that ended with the audience on the stage singing Last Christmas. A nice way to end the year.

jp
God

member is online

jp Avatar

[send pm]

« Jan 18, 2023 7:24:24 GMT via mobile »

The Cool Greenhouse at Voodoo Daddy's in Norwich last night.

It was good.

titchjuicy
God

titchjuicy Avatar

[send pm]

« Jan 22, 2023 9:25:27 GMT via mobile »

The Delgados at Shepherd's Bush last night with popular forum member HotRod Forever.

I had no idea what to expect and it was bloody great. Full band- 3 guitars, bass, drums, keys, flute, string quartet- making a glorious noise.

Emma Pollock's voice is great and she seemed genuinely surprised about what a reception they were getting.

They had no right to be as tight as they were at only their second proper gig in 18 years (if online records are to be trusted).

8/10.

mahoney
God

mahoney Avatar

[send pm]

« Jan 24, 2023 15:30:37 GMT »

Last night I saw my first gig in over a month, VANITY TAPES featuring popular forum member KRBURG on bass duty. It was WILD.
THE VIOLENT LIGHTS were some old dudes doing PUNK ROCK a bit New York Dolls/early Alice Cooper. Was alright
THE YES MESS.. YES, A BAND CALLED THE YES MESS. I'LL SAY NO MORE.

mahoney
God

mahoney Avatar

[send pm]

« Jan 26, 2023 9:33:20 GMT »

last night at THE SHACKLEWELL ARMS with popular forum member KRBURG
BUGGS - they were... fine? Like a less energetic Pip Blom.
COWBOYY - these looked about 12 years old, did a weird intense mix of math rock, experimental rock with metal riffs thrown in :D It sounds awful on paper & there was a few moments where I think it actually was, but then there was impressive moments too. Talented band, will keep an eye out even though I'm not sure they'll be my cup of tea
DILETTANTE - utter, utter cunts. Just the worst type of vomit educing bollocks. Asking the soundguy how long they have left then saying "can we please please please play 2 more?" fuck off. Spent half the gig moaning about their in-ear monitors not working, you're at the shacklewell arms FFS plug in and play. God I hope I never have to hear them again
JOYERIA topped the bill. I believe they won last years EP of the year on my list. They only did about 25 minutes but what a 25 minutes it was. Banging set, really like the electric sounds that are peppered in. Hope they do a record this year, I'm ready for more

mahoney
God

mahoney Avatar

[send pm]

« Jan 27, 2023 7:33:57 GMT »

last night at STUDIO 9294 with popular forum member KRBURG

BO GRITZ opened the night. Enjoyed about half their set before it became a little tiresome. A 3 piece doing an aggressive punchy post-punk thing.

GHOST CAR were up next. I'd seen them a couple of times opening for Amyl & the Sniffers in 2018/19 & they were fine, but kinda forgettable. Really surprised by them here, they've come up with lots of memorable tunes since then & were just full of energy. I got Breeders meets Le Tigre kinda vibes from the material they're playing now. A lot of fun, will definitely catch them again soon.

THE COOL GREENHOUSE headlined their biggest show yet. Was a good turnout, though Ghost Car were added late so I'm not sure how many bought a ticket for them,but still nice to see a packed audience. Also visible was what me and Kevin refer to as The BBC6 Music Dad's turning up to the show. I don't mean that as an insult, you just notice when a band reaches a certain level of popularity the old geezers turn up that have discovered all these bands on Radio and need something to do now Mark E Smith is dead. Cool Greenhouse were of course bloody great, sound was mixed really well & the new material sounded great alongside the debut stuff, even did a new tune which sounded ace. Hopefully they can tour a bit more this year and perhaps get on the festival circuit & be able to do a bigger venue next time if they make another record.

mahoney
God

mahoney Avatar

[send pm]

« Jan 28, 2023 8:41:05 GMT »

Last night at THE LITTLE MEDWAY THEATRE in Rochester, a night of folk, blues & poetry with WILD BILLY CHILDISH with no popular forum members.

This was really great. A member of The Singing Loins passed away last year, they're a Chatham folk band that Billy made one of his best ever records with in the early 90s. This was a sort of tribute night to the fallen member. Billy did a poetry reading as well as Medway poet Bill Lewis. The singing Loins did a set before being joined by Billy. I've seen Billy loads over the years, I love him but god bless him he plays the same bloody songs EVERY TIME. Well tonight was an absolute joy, they did about half a dozen from At the Bridge + a load from the new record. Billy then played with The Chatham Singers which is essentially the same lineup he always has but with Bludy Jim on harp. Nice to see Billy do a blues set, did a bunch of stuff I never thought I'd hear him do including a couple from In Blood, the record he made with Holly Golightly. Really special night. The theatre felt like it hadn't been updated since the 1950s, beautiful little place.

mahoney
God

mahoney Avatar

[send pm]

« Jan 29, 2023 8:16:14 GMT »

Last night at THE MOTH CUB in Hackney "DAVID BYRNE'S NIGHT" with popular forum member KBRBURG

A host of mostly TCOTU bands collaborating under joke names such as The Side Byrne's, Carpet Byrne's & Byrne After Reading performing the songs of David Byrne. Featured members of the likes of PVA, Goat Girl, Shame, Sports Team, Tapir!, Regressive Left, Ash Kenazi, Dead Letter, Golden Dreggs + a load more The bands seemed for the most part well rehearsed other than a few vocal mishaps. A fun night.