Author Topic: The Coral (Read 1,309 times)
jp
God

member is online

jp Avatar

[send pm]

The Coral
« May 16, 2021 21:39:01 GMT »

Yeah, I know. Who the fuck starts a new thread in the music section in 2021, let alone one about The Coral.

I gave Coral Island a token listen on release day and thought it pleasant enough but nothing of note. Fairly bland if anything. Something about it kept pulling me back to it though. Initially a few songs that I would listen to individually and then the whole album. Soon it became an obsession, I ordered the vinyl and now have basically listened to nothing but The Coral for the past week.

It has sent me on a journey of revisiting their back catalogue. Something I was long overdue to do really as it is only the debut I would ever spent time with in recent years other than giving anything new they put out a couple of courtesy listens. This reevalution has led to some changes in opinion on certain albums. Overall though it has been immense fun and reminded me what a fucking solid band The Coral are really.

Anyway, I don't really expect any replies to this but if you would like to discuss The Coral with me, PLEASE DO!

So ladies and gentlemen I present to you, JP's The Coral RANKED

10, Distance Inbetween (2016)

Never thought much of this one and still don't. Doesn't feel too much like The Coral and I'm glad they didn't stick with this psych sound on the 2 albums that have followed. I saw them live on this tour and really enjoyed them to be fair but there's not alot about this album that gets me coming back. 6/10

9, The Curse of Love (2014)

I'd forgotten this album even existed before taking this journey. It's pretty good but lacks a big tune or two that most of their other albums have. Nice to hear some of Bill's guitar again. 7/10

8, The Invisible Invasion (2005)

Maybe the point where I initially started to lose a bit of interest in The Coral after adoring the first two albums. Has some big singles but overall the start of a slight decline. Lacks the hooks or weirdness of their best work. 7/10

7, Move Through the Dawn (2018)

This really surprised me after the disappointment of Distance Inbetween as I instantly loved it. Full of great pop tunes and for me marked their return to form. I get the feeling lots of people never checked this out (possibly to do with the terrible artwork too). It's definitely worth giving a go. 8/10

6, Butterly House (2010)

Another I didn't remember too much about and probably came out around the time I was least interested in the band. I'd scored this a 3 on RYM back then but have really enjoyed this one this week so have upped it a whole fucking star. Solid album this. 8/10

5, Coral Island (2020)

Obviously smack bang in the middle of an obsession with this so it is scoring pretty highly. I'll see how it holds up as time goes by but for now I'm sticking it here. 8/10

4,Roots and Echoes (2007)

Always loved this album and for me it was the album that best represented their straight up 60s influenced pop songs. Put the Sun Back is still one of my favourite tunes of theirs and this album is one I look back on very fondly. 8.5/10

3, Magic and Medicine (2003)

I remember at the time feeling this was a bit of a letdown compared to the debut but it ended up really growing on me. Some wonderful tunes on this and still holds up really well today. 8.5/10

2, Nightfreak and the Sons of Becker (2004)

Back in 2004 my ears were probably still too poncerock obsessed to fully appreciate this. It was 2005 onwards where I became a pretentious indie prick after discovering Sonic Youth and Pavement. I remember being non plussed by this at the time and even sold my cd copy on eBay. Listened to this for the first time in 10 years the other day and absolutely loved it. Some of the guitar parts are great and Migraine is one of the greatest songs ever. A huge surprise and if you haven't listened to it in years either I definitely recommend you do the same. It's also got me wondering what other albums from the 00s I've not listened to in ages would I appreciate more now. Will give that one a think. 8.5/10

1, The Coral (2002)

Still an absolute classic. I picked this up on vinyl a couple of months back and it sounds great. I vividly remember making my Dad drive me to Woolworths on release day to buy this on cd and loved it instantly. Saw them live loads round this time and while they were often hit and miss they were always an exciting band to see. This album and reading interviews with the band from around this time really helped expand my music taste too. I can credit them with introducing me to Frank Zappa, Captain Beefheart and Lee Perry which for 16/17 year old JP was incredible. I sometimes feel this album doesn't quite get the credit it deserves due to how their career went after this. Now they are one of those bands who appear halfway down on the bill at any old crap festival and have taken some dodgy support slots. Maybe if they'd split up in 2003 this would be talked of as one of the greatest albums of all time. I fucking love it anyway. 9.5/10

shenandoah
God

member is online

shenandoah Avatar

[send pm]

The Coral
« May 16, 2021 22:13:52 GMT » -

Absolutely, positively agree with the love of Nightfreak and the Sons of Becker
I don't know if people remember but this was released VERY soon after M&M - you just didn't see that pace of releases back then. For a while they were also released as a bundle I think! They did a promo shooting for the NME dressed in tennis clothes and it was really funny, they were so down to earth (which indie bands clearly were not at that time).
Also this was when they started incorporating more 70s elements to their 60s sound, like some tricks they got from Kraftwerk.
I think you said it best - they were a bunch of guys our age who introduced us to bands we wouldn't have been exposed to otherwise. Not just from their past (Zappa, Beefheart, Yardbirds etc) but also from their present: I mean, they weren't responsible for the "scouse scene", but they certainly drew a lot of attention to the city and its bands (Shack, Stands, Zutons, Tramp Attack...even The La's to some extent).
No other indie band at that time had the level of music knowledge and influences they had.
I think it's fair to say we would be very different if it weren't for The Coral.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2021 22:14:55 GMT by shenandoah » Back to Top  
barny
God

barny Avatar

[send pm]

The Coral
« May 17, 2021 9:27:21 GMT »

Oh no! What's going to be next? A Weller thread?

Columbia_rocks_man
God

Columbia_rocks_man Avatar

[send pm]

The Coral
« May 17, 2021 10:37:35 GMT via mobile » -

barny Avatar
Oh no! What's going to be next? A Weller thread?

As Tucker observed, some people just want this forum to die.

shenandoah
God

member is online

shenandoah Avatar

[send pm]

The Coral
« May 17, 2021 11:18:53 GMT »

I still think The Invisible Invasion is brilliant.
There's a song there called A Warning to the Curious which I always thought was the direction they should have taken.
Naturally it has their "60s Nuggets" psychedelic sound (a bit like Bonniwell's Music Machine, The Chocolate Watchband etc) but also has some slight shade of krautrock and overall it has a colder feel. It's really good.
Shame after that the blueprint of their songs became Leizah.
The first is untouchable. Skeleton Key is still a defining moment of my youth.

Oh by the way, they released a singles collection a few years ago with b-sides and rarities.
There's a song called "Michael's Song" on there, which is inspired by Salinger's short story "A Fine Day for Bananafish". Very bittersweet throwaway tune.

now I really want to hear the new one........

SPACE COWBOY
God

SPACE COWBOY Avatar

[send pm]

The Coral
« May 17, 2021 14:08:26 GMT via mobile »

Thirded for Nightfreaks. Pretty sure it got quite a bit of forum love at the time too.

JP's pretty much nailed the order I think.

krburg
God

krburg Avatar

Dorothy Was a Waitress

[send pm]

The Coral
« May 17, 2021 15:11:32 GMT via mobile »

Butterfly House above anything that came before it, is frankly criminal.

barny
God

barny Avatar

[send pm]

The Coral
« May 17, 2021 15:47:15 GMT »

Surely should be above the newie though

jp
God

member is online

jp Avatar

[send pm]

The Coral
« May 18, 2021 11:36:07 GMT »

ever since i posted this thread my pms have been non stop with people saying "but jp, what are your top ten coral tracks?"

well my friends, today is your lucky day....

1, skeleton key
2, dreaming of you
3, put the sun back
4, bill mccai
5, migraine
6, shadows fall
7, i remember when
8, simon diamond
9, jacqueline
10, dressed like a cow

going in deep on bsides next. 45 of them in a playlist on spotify should keep me busy.

krburg
God

krburg Avatar

Dorothy Was a Waitress

[send pm]

The Coral
« May 18, 2021 14:22:38 GMT »

Any list of best Coral songs that doesn't include The Oldest Path is null n void.

They have a load of absolutely cracking b-sides as well. That Spotify album they put up with all of them has most of the good one's I think. Though for some reason they left The Oldest Path off (though technically not a b-side they could have thrown it on FFS)

mahoney
God

mahoney Avatar

[send pm]

The Coral
« May 18, 2021 14:25:14 GMT »

FOLLOW THE FOLLOW THE FOLLOW THE FOLLOW THE SUUUUUUUUUUUUN

forever
God

forever Avatar

[send pm]

The Coral
« May 18, 2021 14:41:13 GMT »

Here's my null and void top 10!

1. Goodbye
2. A Warning to the Curious
3. Careless Hands
4. Simon Diamond
5. Jacqueline
6. Dreaming of You
7. Don't Think You're the First
8. Far From the Crowd
9. Put the Sun Back
10.Pass it On

mahoney
God

mahoney Avatar

[send pm]

The Coral
« May 18, 2021 14:45:31 GMT »

DEDICATED TO WIZARD

mahoney
God

mahoney Avatar

[send pm]

The Coral
« May 18, 2021 15:07:13 GMT »

I remember When
The Oldest Path
Goodbye
Dreaming of You
Waiting for the Heartaches
Follow The Sun
Dressed like a Cow
Bill McCai
Migraine
Sweet Sue

all pre 2005 :D

srk
God

srk Avatar

[send pm]

The Coral
« May 18, 2021 15:08:33 GMT »

I really enjoyed move through the dawn, moreso than anything since roots and echoes, maybe.

mahoney
God

mahoney Avatar

[send pm]

The Coral
« May 18, 2021 15:11:02 GMT »

I will never, ehhhhhhhverrrrrrr hear that album. Just look at the artwork!

jp
God

member is online

jp Avatar

[send pm]

The Coral
« May 18, 2021 15:18:06 GMT »

they said they did it on purpose. wanted it to be similar to the kind of artwork you'd get in the dodgy 80s albums from fallen 60s legends.

mahoney
God

mahoney Avatar

[send pm]

The Coral
« May 18, 2021 15:34:52 GMT »

Did they become fallen 2000s legends on purpose too?!?

I might have a go back through their catalogue and even try this AWFUL album. Man it only feels like YESTERDAY I was at Spitz watching THE STANDS, TRAMP ATTACK & THE HOKUM CLONES witnessing what I thought would dominate music for years, the rise of the cosmic scousers! Unfortunately it never worked out that way & this was the future awaiting us all

srk
God

srk Avatar

[send pm]

The Coral
« May 18, 2021 15:46:55 GMT »

Still haven't ever seen them live. When I saw oasis in ireland in...2003(?), they had the stands and bandits both open for them, and i feel ripped off that the coral weren't there too.

mahoney
God

mahoney Avatar

[send pm]

The Coral
« May 18, 2021 15:48:29 GMT »

no one needs a woman like I need you SRK.