Author Topic: JP's Back to the 90s. Thread #2 - 1991 (Read 111 times)
jp
God

jp Avatar

[send pm]

JP's Back to the 90s. Thread #2 - 1991
« Mar 17, 2023 21:34:46 GMT »

So 1990 finished with a huge 3 votes on the poll averaging 3.75 as its score and going straight to the top (and bottom) of the 90s leaderboard.

This week we are going to be looking at 1991!

I remember a lot more about 1991 than 1990. I turned 6 and can vividly remember watching the Tottenham FA Cup run with Gazza's screamer of a free kick against Arsenal in the semi and then the win against Nottingham Forest in the final. Still wrestling obessed I remember big emotions in the Wrestlemania retirement match between Ultimate Warrior and Macho Man with him getting reunited with Elizabeth. Other memories for me were bombing around on my red bmx bike and have a Batmobile toy with a really annoying squeaky wheel.

Overall I don't reckon it was quite as good as 1990 culturally however I'm still going to give it a 4 thanks to Tottenham's magnificent FA Cup run and win which cemented my status as a yid for life.

Musically my top 3 albums of the year would be...

Primal Scream - Screamadelica
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Main Source - Breaking Atoms

Despite these big hitters and several others like Just for a Day, Low End Theory, Seamonsters and Bandwagonesque I don't think 1991 quite has the strength in depth 1990 did album wise. Favourite song wise I'd probably have to go for something off Screamadelica too, maybe Movin On Up today.

Film wise my favourite from the year would be a toss up between Barton Fink and Terminator 2. Both legendary movies.

As with the previous thread I want to know your 1991...

Your Top 3 albums of the year
Your favourite song of the year
Your favourite film of the year
What were you actually listening to/watching at the time
Your memories of the year
Your overall ranking of the year

eddiemurphy
God

eddiemurphy Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 18, 2023 13:18:32 GMT » -

top 3 albums of the year - nevermind (nirvana) - blue lines (massive attack) - screamadelica (primal scream)
favourite song of the year - motown song - rod stewart (i'll just go with a damn catchy pop song for this one)

maybe go with a tie on this - incognito ft jocelyn brown - always there

favourite film of the year - terminator 2 judgment day
listening/watching that year - mj dangerous album - jackson 5 - 20 golden greats tape (i bought at xmas 90)
chart rundown on a sunday (still have some i recorded off the radio from the time)
on tv - only fools & horses - eastenders/corrie - citv/ch4 (saved by the bell/pugwall/pob :D )
your memories of the year - great summer holiday that year
going to cinema a fair bit (addams family/king ralph/suburban commando)
my dad broke his leg (tip of the day: don't start the car in gear)
left junior school/started secondary school
overall ranking of the year - 6 outta 10

« Last Edit: Mar 18, 2023 13:24:50 GMT by eddiemurphy » Back to Top  

shenandoah
God

shenandoah Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 18, 2023 17:30:07 GMT » -

This was the year Maradona was banned from football for cocaine, the Soviet block dissolved and shoegaze was at its peak - and by 'peak' I mean that about 10 people in Glasgow were buying the records. What a shit year.
My team even lost the UEFA Cup final to Inter.

The only thing that made 1991 bearable is that Freddie Mercury died.

My top three albums are Screamadelica, Massive Attack's Blue Lines and Talk Talk's Laughing Stock.

mahoney
God

mahoney Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 19, 2023 7:47:33 GMT »

First I'd like to congratulate JP on a vital thread that is keeping the soapbox thriving! We can only Simone brings back his legendary album series too!

It's 6am, I have just awoken and had my morning poo following a few drinks with popular forum member Rod last night & I'm ready once again to go DEEP.

1991, I was 7 and a half years old when the year started. Guns N Roses really were the only band on earth that mattered to me at the time. I still wasn't buying my own records but luckily for me my mother was into GNR. I seem to remember her not buying Use Your Illusion 1 on release week, instead we got 2, if I had to guess it was because You Could Be Mine was so fucking awesome & it had the terminator 2 tie in. We did get the 1st one not too long after, but at the time I remember much preferring 2, of course I was a stupid fucking child! Get In The Ring sounded so incredible, I'd never heard music so badass in my life before.
I think my nan (mums side) died this year and when we was cleaning the house out one of my cousin's who had lived there for a bit gave me a cassette which was one side Alice Cooper & the other the Beastie Boys. I played that to death, though tbh it was the Alice Cooper side (80s glam metal Alice) that I played over and over again. 

I'd have to say, like JP my football memories are exactly the same. I don't recall being interested that much in football too much at the time, but those two games I vividly remember watching. My nan (not the dead one) came back from a Spanish holiday and bought me a Paul Gascoigne leather football, man it was cool.
Me & my dad was big into Nigel Benn, I don't remember any specific fight from that year but remember him bouncing back from that 1st loss to Euebank and winning a fight what seemed like every couple of months. 
Snooker, the year Jimmy White couldn't fail! It was his year, Davis & Hendry was out, of course he'll beat John Parrott in the final,,,  :(  

Wrestling was my entire life. My favourite childhood wrestling moment of 1991? Bushwhacker Luke being thrown out of the royal rumble in 4 seconds by Earthquake then marching off like nothing had happened. I remember me and my parents laughing out loud for a good few minutes :D
Hogan won as usual, but I've always been a prick (as you all know!), so the fact everyone at school loved Hogan even at that age made me dislike him. Me & my mother were big on the new kid in town, The Undertaker! He was just making a dent in the lower to middle of the card, I thought the Undertaker rope walk was the coolest thing ever. For me the years biggest storyline was Virgil finally standing up to the million dollar man. Those video segments they ran having Virgil wipe the shit off the shoes & so on, well they wouldn't pass today would they? :D but damn, when he finally stood up for himself, Virgil was a fucking hero. Of course he's a laughing stock now & he never could actually wrestle, but it didn't matter. Virgil was king & the crowd reaction during that feud was equal to anything Hogan was doing.

That October my parents took me and my cousin to Wembley arena to see WWF. Annoyingly there was no Hogan or Warrior, but I didn't care, it was the most incredible night of my life to that point. Legion of Doom topped the bill beating the nasty boys, though the match I was most excited about was The Undertaker Vs Roddy Piper. Also I got to see Ric Flair who hadn't been there long beat the Texas Tornado. There was these 2 old cunts (I say old cunts, they could have been 21, when you're young everyone is old) who spent the entire show moaning that the NWA/WCW was better :D The British Bulldog beat Earthquake & had Andre the Giant walk to the ring with him, incredible scenes! Me & My Cousin bought Legion of Doom spikes made out of Foam.

Skip forward to the following morning, my cousin was in tears when his dog had ripped his spikes to shreds :D 

I went to the cinema for the first time, to see Suburban Commando starring... Hulk Hogan! Though of course I was most excited for The Undertaker making a cameo. Films... Arnie was still king. Terminator 2 was released, though things took ages to come to VHS so I probably didn't see it until the following year. Was watching mostly just action films, Die Hard 2, Total Recall, The Turtles movie, loved Robocop 2 at the time. 

Gaming wise, Mario Brothers 3 on the NES was the huge release. Played that game to death. Having a mario that could fly was mindblowing tbh. I had seen the film THE WIZARD prior to getting the game so knew where the warp was the first time I played it. If you've not seen The Wizard it is a film which I've seen more times than I like to admit & I have huge nostalgia for it. Stars Fred Savage, Christian Slater & Beau Bridges. It's supposed to be this wild children's adventure that involves a kid that's a wizard at computer games... but there's this really miserable family drama stuff involving a divorce, a kid being put in a home & a sister that drowned, could pass for a Ken Loach film at times! It was a flop, kids hated it, they were promised seeing loads of video games and there isn't enough plus tonally it is fucking weird, but I always fucking loved it and I still watch it once a year without fail. As a kid I thought the girl in the film was really cool, fast forward to about 2005 and I realised that she was Jenny Lewis :D She'll always have a place in my heart for being in The Wizard. 

TV, DINOSAURS was a huge hit in the Mahoney household, it was essentially Roseanne with Dinosaurs, we loved Roseanne as well! Mr Bean, Saved by the Bell, essential. 

I'll get back with a tedious list of records and films in good time

« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2023 7:49:04 GMT by mahoney » Back to Top  
mahoney
God

mahoney Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 19, 2023 8:16:44 GMT »

films:

Terminator 2 (my most seen film of all time. Saw the re-release on the big screen a few years ago after not seeing it for a few years and it is still absolutely mindblowing. I get people can prefer the first film, they are totally different films. As far as huge budget blockbusters go, I still think it's the greatest ever)
Night on Earth (underrated Jim Jarmusch flick)
The Silence of the Lambs (everyone knows and remembers the iconic scenes, but i think this gets better with age)
Jungle Fever (Spike Lee Joint, proof that Wesley Snipes was a phenomenal actor before he became known as an action star)
Delicatessen (weird & wonderful film from director of Amélie)
The People Under the Stairs (wes craven horror that gets a little neglected, so much fun, still holds up)
Toy Soldiers (any love for Toy Soldiers? terrorists take over a boarding school, Sean Astin plays a trouble making kid that fights back)
Riff Raff (Ken Loach film with Robert Carlyle, lots of miserable shit but one of his more light hearted films... for him at least)
A Brighter Summer Day (4 hour Taiwanese coming of age film I saw during lockdown)
Cape Fear (a lesser scorsese but De Niro's performance is so memorable)
The Indian Runner (great drama directed by sean penn starring Viggo Mortensen and a late non action part for Charles Bronson)
Point Break 
L.A. Story (satirical comedy with steve martin which I hadn't seen until lockdown)

shout out to two really fucking awful action movies, neither of which I saw back in the day but are entertaining as hell, Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky & Samurai Cop. Showdown in Little Tokyo with big Dolph Lundgren & Brandon Lee is also ridiculous stupid fun. 

music

The Low end Theory & Screamadelica are the two masterpieces

Nevermind,
Main Sources Breaking Atoms
Loveless,
The Charlotttes debut (shoegaze/noise pop group I only discovered recently)
Use your Illusion 1 & 2 (yeah theres a ton of shit on both, but there's some real gold and well, my nostalgia is too great)
Thee Headcoatees - Girlsville
Daniel Johnston - Artistic Vice
Gang Starr - Step in the Arena 
Trompe le monde
Bandwagonesque
Neil Young's Weld is badass
& I've grown to enjoy Achtung Baby, that's right! Thank god Ben won't ever see this post!

shout out to the Charlatans single Over Rising (or is it an EP I dunno) 

jp
God

jp Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 19, 2023 8:27:44 GMT via mobile »

I've just remembered 91 was the year of the Eubank v Michael Watson fight at White Hart Lane, probably my first big boxing memory.

I remember watching it at my Nan and Grandads house upstairs in my uncles room with all the LADS (my uncles and cousins) while I assume the women were downstairs cleaning or providing us with snacks and drinks.

1991 was also the year I properly got into gaming. The Spectrum was cast to one side and I got a SEGA MASTER SYSTEM and was addicted to Sonic the Hedgehog and Alex the Kid in Miracle World.

mahoney
God

mahoney Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 19, 2023 8:32:20 GMT »

Shout out to RICK DANGEROUS on the Amiga. I didn't have an Amiga, but I played a ton of it around my next door neighbours house. Hard as fuck, never did get more than probably a dozen screens into the game :D

eddiemurphy
God

eddiemurphy Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 19, 2023 18:20:38 GMT » -

mahoney Avatar
Wrestling was my entire life.

i used to go to british wrestling shows.

klondyke kate, kendo nagasaki, giant haystacks, rollerball rocco.

what an era. >:(