Author Topic: Morrissey (Read 1,857 times)
forever
God

forever Avatar

[send pm]

Morrissey
« Nov 1, 2010 13:44:42 GMT »

I've only seen him once, at the Barrowland last year. It was good, but he spent most of the gig lifting changing shirts and he only played for an hour and ten minutes despite charging 35 quid. Obviously the Smiths songs were massive (I'd never quite appreciated How Soon is Now until I heard the intro live) but he left out a lot of big-hitting solo numbers from earlier in his career, and concentrated on stuff post You are the Quarry.

monkeytennis
God

monkeytennis Avatar

popping like the top of a bottle of hot javascript

[send pm]

Morrissey
« Nov 1, 2010 13:48:59 GMT »

forever Avatar
I've only seen him once, at the Barrowland last year. It was good, but he spent most of the gig lifting changing shirts

:-X

6twenty
God

6twenty Avatar

[send pm]

Morrissey
« Nov 2, 2010 11:45:55 GMT »

Cranking the fuck out of some peak era classic moz solo. as we speak it is hairdresser on fire.

Deleted

Deleted Avatar

[send pm]

Morrissey
« Nov 3, 2010 18:51:19 GMT »

Whats peoples thoughts on the middle part of Moza's career? I've never spent much time on that period, infact I've never ever heard Southpaw Grammar, Beethoven Was Deaf or Maladjusted, they any good?

Never thought his two 'comeback' records were that special to be honest, handful of amazing singles but for the most part nothing more than decent. I really liked the last record though, thought it was the best of the three though I doubt many would agree.

rbbrslmn

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Morrissey
« Nov 3, 2010 18:55:55 GMT »

beethoven was deaf is a forgettable live album, maladjusted is the most average record ever made by anyone. southpaw grammar is BRILLIANT but was a a total flop when it came out, the original version of it was bookended by two tracks over ten minutes and mostly instrumental, probably not what people expected from a morrissey record but I love the shit out of it. download it and hear the original version first.

Deleted

Deleted Avatar

[send pm]

Morrissey
« Nov 3, 2010 19:00:09 GMT »

Thanks, I'll investigate into this.

I've had Maladjusted for four years on my pc & never played it because the cover looked so bad.

eddiemurphy
God

eddiemurphy Avatar

[send pm]

Morrissey
« Nov 3, 2010 20:53:48 GMT »

rbbrslmn Avatar
Nov 3, 2010 18:55:55 GMT @rbbrslmn said:
beethoven was deaf is a forgettable live album, maladjusted is the most average record ever made by anyone. southpaw grammar is BRILLIANT but was a a total flop when it came out, the original version of it was bookended by two tracks over ten minutes and mostly instrumental, probably not what people expected from a morrissey record but I love the shit out of it. download it and hear the original version first.

this.

get the introducing morrissey live concert from 95.

cracking setlist. 8-)

don't dig southpaw grammar quite as much as the soulman tbh.

saw him live in november 2002 at brixton academy.

wasn't promoting anything so the setlist was great.

probably favourite gig. ;D

rbbrslmn

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Morrissey
« Nov 3, 2010 20:55:36 GMT »

I was at one of the two gigs on that video, its filmed at blackpool and sheffield city hall, I was at the sheffield gig. first time seeing morrissey, epic day.

eddiemurphy
God

eddiemurphy Avatar

[send pm]

Morrissey
« Nov 3, 2010 21:06:23 GMT »

rbbrslmn Avatar
Nov 3, 2010 20:55:36 GMT @rbbrslmn said:
I was at one of the two gigs on that video, its filmed at blackpool and sheffield city hall, I was at the sheffield gig. first time seeing morrissey, epic day.

bought that video from a music fair at wembley.

still got it.

still gets plenty of plays actually.

???

themex
God

themex Avatar

[send pm]

Morrissey
« Nov 4, 2010 0:36:25 GMT »

nothing ever done by a The Smiths member outside of The Smiths beats anything by The Smiths

@jjnip

Yes... my name is Jesus. And yes... Fargo is not better than a 5/10.
6twenty
God

6twenty Avatar

[send pm]

Morrissey
« Nov 4, 2010 10:42:31 GMT »

Mid Era Moz Assessment by 6twenty:

in short very similar to mr david. bethoven was deaf i like a little bit more, just for roughed up versions of the likes of suedehead but tbh its inessential. i lost it in a hard drive crash in may and havent wanted it since. Maladjusted is fucking awful, but 'roys keen' is a particularly comic/tragic moment- what a pun. notably deleted from the last reissue i think.

Southpaw Grammar- Class, on the whole. ignored on release, but because of the times no other reason, bizarre since moz was so influential on britpop that he was a bit persona non grata for a while.

I agree with Karl somewhat on the comeback albums. Quarry isnt a great LP for me, but it does have in irish blood, and First of the gang some solid gold brilliant singles. to name just two.
Havent heard years of refusal (my bad guyz) but im starting to against my initial will really dig ringleader of the tormentors. pretty 'loud' i guess for a morrissey record on the whole. but its pretty damm good. youngest was the most loved= TUNE.

eddiemurphy
God

eddiemurphy Avatar

[send pm]

Morrissey
« Jul 14, 2017 18:19:20 GMT »

this looks cringe tbh. :D

forever
God

forever Avatar

[send pm]

Morrissey
« Jul 15, 2017 9:55:44 GMT »

ALL OF THE RUMOURS KEEPING ME GROUNDED

Columbia_rocks_man
God

member is online

Columbia_rocks_man Avatar

[send pm]

Morrissey
« Jul 16, 2017 9:48:46 GMT via mobile »

'Pregnant for the Last Time' > 'The Queen is Dead'

Haha, I don't remember starting this thread. I actually put this song on yesterday for the first time ages. It is such a great wee track.

barny
God

barny Avatar

[send pm]

Morrissey
« Jul 16, 2017 10:11:11 GMT via mobile »

James Mercer > Morrissey

Deleted

Deleted Avatar

[send pm]

Morrissey
« Jul 16, 2017 10:19:50 GMT via mobile »

Had to google to find out who that was

barny
God

barny Avatar

[send pm]

Morrissey
« Jul 16, 2017 11:24:24 GMT »

A VEGAN LIKE YOU should already know about the singer from The Smiths

Columbia_rocks_man
God

member is online

[send pm]

Morrissey
« Jul 16, 2017 19:24:28 GMT via mobile »

Did you ever get round to listening to Maladjusted, Mahoney? There's some great stuff on it. The title track and Alma Matters being the obvious ones.

Deleted

Deleted Avatar

[send pm]

Morrissey
« Jul 17, 2017 13:03:25 GMT »

Yeah, it's kinda patchy but there's some good stuff scattered throughout the record. Roy's Keen always makes me smile

6twenty
God

6twenty Avatar

[send pm]

Morrissey
« Jul 17, 2017 14:30:55 GMT »

6twenty Avatar
Mid Era Moz Assessment by 6twenty:

in short very similar to mr david. bethoven was deaf i like a little bit more, just for roughed up versions of the likes of suedehead but tbh its inessential. i lost it in a hard drive crash in may and havent wanted it since. Maladjusted is fucking awful, but 'roys keen' is a particularly comic/tragic moment- what a pun. notably deleted from the last reissue i think.

Southpaw Grammar- Class, on the whole. ignored on release, but because of the times no other reason, bizarre since moz was so influential on britpop that he was a bit persona non grata for a while.

I agree with Karl somewhat on the comeback albums. Quarry isnt a great LP for me, but it does have in irish blood, and First of the gang some solid gold brilliant singles. to name just two.
Havent heard years of refusal (my bad guyz) but im starting to against my initial will really dig ringleader of the tormentors. pretty 'loud' i guess for a morrissey record on the whole. but its pretty damm good. youngest was the most loved= TUNE.

I peaked seven years ago!

« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2017 14:31:13 GMT by 6twenty » Back to Top