Author Topic: rate the last gig you went to (Read 35,995 times)
barny
God

barny Avatar

[send pm]

rate the last gig you went to
« Oct 10, 2021 9:23:16 GMT » -

Malamute yesterday, 5 year anniversary of a pub I'd never heard of before. Not the best place for shows tbh, more columns than free space.

Anyway, Malamute are a young duo with fun and catchy songs with some great lyrics, but omg they're green for a live show. Lots of pre-recorded stuff, guitarist broke 2 strings and should probably sound way louder. It felt like a karaoke on some spots with a guy playing guitar hero by her side. But well, it was cheap and cool in an underground way.

jp
God

jp Avatar

[send pm]

« Oct 18, 2021 6:22:04 GMT via mobile »

Laura Marling at Norwich UEA last night.

Good shit, just her and an acoustic but real captivating stuff. Venue was probably a bit too large for this kind of gig though and I much preferred the last time she played Norwich when did a venue half the size.

barny
God

barny Avatar

[send pm]

« Oct 18, 2021 10:28:26 GMT »

Saw The Mystery Lights last Thursday, it felt nearly pre-pandemic: stand-up and masks off while drinking (which meant they were never actually put back on). On record they're a bit standard for me but live it was a very enjoyable rock'n'roll show.

titchjuicy
God

titchjuicy Avatar

[send pm]

« Oct 23, 2021 9:19:17 GMT via mobile » -

My first experience of Black Country New Road last night. They'd had to postpone twice due to COVID.

And it was sensational.

The setlist leaned slightly towards new stuff and I'm pretty sure we got Instrumental, Athens France, Science Fair and Track X from the album.

The new stuff was a surprise but a very very good one. Still experimental but around more classic song structures. A couple of tracks felt like peak-Pulp. But to my ears there were influences from Nick Cave, Scott Walker and even Bonnie Prince Billy. There was one song early in the set that blew me away- "concorde" was mentioned in the lyrics a lot and "sharing the same sky". No idea what it's called though and can't find a setlist.

I know I'm preaching to the converted here, but the 'front' man is one of the best vocalists I've ever heard/seen. And the Drummer is fucking amazing. Actually, they're all bloody great.

It's a long time since (even pre-covid) I saw a band as good as this.

No encore and even after they turned the lights back on 75% of the Crowd stood their ground chanting "we want more". I'm not sure I've ever seen that- especially in Luxembourg.

My GF was reluctant about going last night as she was knackered from a super intense work week, but afterwards thanked me for persuading her.

If I wasn't going to a friends for dinner tonight I'd be on the road to Cologne right now.

No hesitation in giving it 10/10.

barny
God

barny Avatar

[send pm]

« Oct 23, 2021 9:42:47 GMT »

Axolotes Mexicanos past Thursday. It was more pop punk than pc music-ish, but still fun enough and glad to see young people going to a guitar show.

titchjuicy
God

titchjuicy Avatar

[send pm]

« Oct 23, 2021 10:18:59 GMT via mobile »

titchjuicy Avatar
My first experience of Black Country New Road last night. They'd had to postpone twice due to COVID.

And it was sensational.

The setlist leaned slightly towards new stuff and I'm pretty sure we got Instrumental, Athens France, Science Fair and Track X from the album.

The new stuff was a surprise but a very very good one. Still experimental but around more classic song structures. A couple of tracks felt like peak-Pulp. But to my ears there were influences from Nick Cave, Scott Walker and even Bonnie Prince Billy. There was one song early in the set that blew me away- "concorde" was mentioned in the lyrics a lot and "sharing the same sky". No idea what it's called though and can't find a setlist.

I know I'm preaching to the converted here, but the 'front' man is one of the best vocalists I've ever heard/seen. And the Drummer is fucking amazing. Actually, they're all bloody great.

It's a long time since (even pre-covid) I saw a band as good as this.

No encore and even after they turned the lights back on 75% of the Crowd stood their ground chanting "we want more". I'm not sure I've ever seen that- especially in Luxembourg.

My GF was reluctant about going last night as she was knackered from a super intense work week, but afterwards thanked me for persuading her.

If I wasn't going to a friends for dinner tonight I'd be on the road to Cologne right now.

No hesitation in giving it 10/10.

Am piecing the setlist together using YouTube vids from other performances.

Deffo had the new single, Chaos Space Marine. Also Bread Song and Concorde. There were a couple more too.