Author Topic: rate the last gig you went to (Read 37,584 times)
jp
God

jp Avatar

[send pm]

rate the last gig you went to
« Nov 22, 2021 23:38:09 GMT »

the wedding present at norwich arts centre last night.

did seamonsters in full then a second set of various classics with a couple of new songs thrown in. i thought both new songs sounded great actually so i'm looking forward to hearing recorded versions. always such a good live band and despite another lineup change with the guy from sleeper now on guitar and a new drummer from when i last saw them, they're sounding tight. david gedge has aged about 100 years in the past 2 years though. full on silver fox and had a tablet with the lyrics on which i don't think i've ever seen him do before. put him on your death list for next year.

Columbia_rocks_man
God

Columbia_rocks_man Avatar

[send pm]

« Nov 23, 2021 19:45:19 GMT via mobile »

The K’s @ King Tut’s

Four piece lad rock band signed to Alan McGee’s latest label. It was a pal’s suggestion I went. They’re bang average. No killer hooks, no edge, piss-weak rhythm section. I always think bands like this - in the same vein as The Snuts etc - are supported like football teams. Fans love the local connection to their hometown, even if the tunes are substandard crap. 4.

Shame @ QMU

I felt with Shame the performance was better than the songs. Good frontman and lots of energy. Some of the tunes merged into one though. Need more hits like One Rizla and Concrete. 6.5

srk
God

srk Avatar

[send pm]

« Nov 27, 2021 1:43:42 GMT via mobile »

Massey Hall in Toronto has been closed for the last 3 years for repairs/renovations. For the non-Canadians, it’s roughly the equivalent of a cross between the RAH and the ryman in Nashville. Canada’s Mecca of music. Anyway, aside from the famous Neil young show, it’s most associated with Gordon lightfoot, who’s played there close to 200 times apparently. It’s always been on my bucket list to see him there before he dies, so when they announced he was reopening it,
I was going to be there come hell or high COVID. Last night was the big night and holy hell, the venue is gorgeous. They somehow managed to put modern touches in without ruining the old ambience.

A word about gord. He’s old. And not old like the 60s guys you all (rightly) mock me for seeing. He looks like a fucking skeleton. Anyway, there was a possibility he wasn’t going to make this show because he fell and broke his wrist a few months ago (again: old) but he basically said he’d have to be dead to miss this. So instead of doing his normal two sets and an intermission, he got another old folkie named Tom rush to open for him. He was fine. Gord was given the key to the city in a ceremony before the show and he sounded like death when he gave a little thank you. Not a good sign. But he eventually came out and played for an hour and brought just the hits and sounded okay (relatively). The entire crowd was basically willing him to make it through the night…and he did.

Wasn’t the best show I’ve seen, but as a celebration of a beloved venue and musician, it was one of the most memorable. 7/10

(Glad we got it in before omicron kills us all too.)

jp
God

jp Avatar

[send pm]

« Nov 28, 2021 23:36:18 GMT »

the libertines at norwich uea saturday night

pete is fat and clean, carl looks like a cunt, gary and jon are both legends. surprisingly a tight together band nowadays. setlist was great, all the hits. top night.

titchjuicy
God

titchjuicy Avatar

[send pm]

« Nov 29, 2021 10:17:43 GMT via mobile »

jp Avatar

pete is fat and clean, carl looks like a cunt, gary and jon are both legends. surprisingly a tight together band nowadays. setlist was great, all the hits. top night.

I regret not booking something for this tour. We're in the SE when they play the forum on the 18th Dec, but we have the dog and it's sold out anyway. Really fancied a christmas libertines gig.

MaskedWrestler
God

MaskedWrestler Avatar

[send pm]

« Nov 30, 2021 16:58:07 GMT »

jp Avatar

Wow - just looking at video on YouTube and Pete is blown up

Benoît Assou-Ekotto
God

Benoît Assou-Ekotto Avatar

Slapped by a dwarf.

[send pm]

« Nov 30, 2021 17:38:32 GMT »

Thank god.

Skinny junkie Pete is played out.
I'm never going to do crack again Pete is boring.
We need something new and BIG PETE is the answer.

[shadow=blue,left,300]Benoît Assou-Ekotto [/shadow]

"fuck it, i'll be back at the end of the footy season to collect my winnings off byram. can't be arsed with pricks any more." Orch 06/09/2011
mahoney
God

mahoney Avatar

[send pm]

« Nov 30, 2021 17:58:10 GMT »

Fucking love Big Pete. He looks so happy. I'd love to hug him.

jp
God

jp Avatar

[send pm]

« Dec 2, 2021 22:41:40 GMT via mobile »

Dry Cleaning at Norwich Arts Centre tonight.

100000/10

Columbia_rocks_man
God

Columbia_rocks_man Avatar

[send pm]

« Dec 3, 2021 14:20:10 GMT via mobile »

That is not a rating