Author Topic: Music Confessions (Read 835 times)
tucker
Administrator

tucker Avatar

[send pm]

Music Confessions
« Oct 10, 2021 12:34:16 GMT via mobile »

shenandoah Avatar
I don't think I ever mentioned this in 20 years of soapbox but 1998-2002 I played bass in a high-school band. We were called Supernova, like 600.000 other bands in Rome at that time. I got in because I liked Oasis and I knew one of the two guitarists. Strange, because we never did a single Oasis tune. We had a singer who was obsessed with Elton John and was he himself a renowned poof. Later he became an Elton John impersonator on TV.

We did a lot of Queen covers, we did Europe's The Final Countdown and a few originals written by the keyboard player. One of our tunes was called Bad Weather. After gigs we would get compliments because that song sounded "like a real song!". Incidentally, the guy who got me in was sacked two days after I arrived when he told the band "I've written a blues that goes 'doo-dah-dah-doos'". "I don't think so", said the keyboard player, and I've never seen that guy again, not even at school.

We played with this line-up (vox, guitar, bass, keyboards and drums) until late 2000, at which point the keyboard player and the singer left to make their Elton John duo, and we had to reinvent the band. We changed name, we got a girl as a singer and another guitarist (the previous was forced into leaving). By this time, we 4 members of the band didn't have one thing in common, musically. The guitarist was crazy about Dream Theater, the drummer thought Tico Torres was the bee's knees and I had just started listening to The Stone Roses! Our overall sound was really awful, we sounded like one of these nu-metal bands from the arse end middle of nowhere, like Missouri. We started gigging a lot though, and I was always afraid of inviting people to our shows because we sounded so bad. Musically we were very tight, but our choice of material was just shite. One time our singer's dad showed up at one of the gigs completely plastered and started singing along to our covers really loudly, it was possibly the lowest point in my puberty.

We recorded two demo CDs, one of which the drummer gave to Noel Gallagher when Oasis played in Rome in 2002. I was really ashamed of it.
A few months later I received a message telling me to practice You Give Love a Bad Name, to which I just replied "Fuck off". I left the band the following week. I still have one rehearsal tape at home and video footage from our first demo recording session :D

There is so much I love about this post. Had me in tears reading through last night. Bravo. HoF. 10/10.

Belligerent Hype Man
God

Belligerent Hype Man Avatar

DRINK LUCOZADE!!! [F4:@Bronsons_Beard]

[send pm]

Music Confessions
« Oct 11, 2021 10:34:58 GMT »

In my opinion U2 are one of the best singles band in the history of music, well up to a point, anything released from 'Vertigo' onwards has been pretty poor, but pretty much everything released before that was fantastic.

titchjuicy
God

titchjuicy Avatar

[send pm]

Music Confessions
« Oct 11, 2021 12:53:22 GMT via mobile »

krburg Avatar
titchjuicy Avatar
I will never stop loving Wham and the Pet Shop Boys.
The PSB have already been covered, but mate, Wham are fucking glorious.

I love you Kev.

At age 10 they were the first 'band' I fell in love with.

hellowhirled008

hellowhirled008 Avatar

wow, yall really made a thread about my music

[send pm]

Music Confessions
« Oct 15, 2021 15:59:44 GMT via mobile »

confession: I don't enjoy punk. I think it became a parody of itself too quickly for its political angles to be taken seriously (especially since "no" isn't really a political angle), but punk split off into better sub-genres that all flourished.

« Last Edit: Oct 15, 2021 15:59:53 GMT by hellowhirled008 » Back to Top  
eddiemurphy
God

eddiemurphy Avatar

[send pm]

Music Confessions
« Oct 17, 2021 18:34:44 GMT »

hellowhirled008 Avatar
confession: I don't enjoy punk. I think it became a parody of itself too quickly for its political angles to be taken seriously (especially since "no" isn't really a political angle), but punk split off into better sub-genres that all flourished.

feel similar about a lot of noise monger bands (sonic youth, mbv, ride).

hellowhirled008

hellowhirled008 Avatar

wow, yall really made a thread about my music

[send pm]

Music Confessions
« Oct 18, 2021 0:13:52 GMT via mobile »

eddiemurphy Avatar
hellowhirled008 Avatar
feel similar about a lot of noise monger bands (sonic youth, mbv, ride).

i have a mixed relationship with bands like that. some bands use noise really well but none of them are Sonic Youth

MaskedWrestler

MaskedWrestler Avatar

[send pm]

Music Confessions
« Oct 18, 2021 12:48:49 GMT »

I don't like Billie Eilish but I saw a picture of her boobs and I am liking those.

Thanks,

MaskedWrestler

MaskedWrestler Avatar

[send pm]

Music Confessions
« Oct 19, 2021 12:05:26 GMT »

Growing up I use to hate traditional Irish music. It's all that gets played here on the weekends on the radio and I use to despise it. I had no idea about our culture here and the musical influences it brought on etc.

In latter years I cannot get enough of it! When big acts come across to play I make sure to go see them live etc. I'm really sad I never got to see The Cheieftains live now as Paddy Moloney recently died :(

MaskedWrestler

MaskedWrestler Avatar

[send pm]

Music Confessions
« Oct 19, 2021 12:06:48 GMT »

I also want to point out that I really don't like Jack White/The White Stripes/Racounters etc..

I'd only want to see Meg's cracking tits again tbh.

tucker
Administrator

tucker Avatar

[send pm]

Music Confessions
« Oct 19, 2021 21:38:32 GMT via mobile »

On all of the songs I've ever recorded (badly) I've never used a pick/plectrum. It's gotten to the point where I feel completely useless on guitar when using one and that is really something I should work on.

MaskedWrestler

MaskedWrestler Avatar

[send pm]

Music Confessions
« Oct 20, 2021 13:08:02 GMT »

I have never listened to a Nirvana album. I might try some day soon but I just can't seem to muster up the will to turn one on.

I think my friend being a big fan always put me off growing up.

srk
God

srk Avatar

[send pm]

Music Confessions
« Oct 20, 2021 19:02:31 GMT via mobile »

MaskedWrestler Avatar
I have never listened to a Nirvana album. I might try some day soon but I just can't seem to muster up the will to turn one on.

Not enough breasts, I guess?

MaskedWrestler

MaskedWrestler Avatar

[send pm]

Music Confessions
« Oct 21, 2021 12:00:09 GMT »

srk Avatar
MaskedWrestler Avatar

Not enough breasts, I guess?
You could be onto something.